Job Title: Club Doctor
Location: Sky Blue Lodge, Ryton on Dunsmore
Reporting to: Performance Director
Hours of work: Part-time (including match day responsibility)
Application Deadline: Friday 8 March 2024
Coventry City Football Club is seeking a Club Doctor to work part-time with the First Team at the Club’s Training Ground, and on match days.
Working predominantly with the Coventry City First team, this role will ensure we have proactive and responsive medical care to support the individual players, staff and the team achieve our collective objectives.
The candidate will need to have flexibility to priortise their work with the team, and provide consistent and responsive medical coverage, including in-person at all first team home and away fixtures, with weekly attendance at training.
The successful candidate will work collaboratively with an experienced and estbalished Performance Team to develop, implement and evaluate medical provision within the Club.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE:
- Pitch-side assessment and treatment of players during selected training sessions and every home and away game
- Medical consultation with players and first team Club staff in and out of hours (in person, virtually or on the telephone)
- Attending training sessions on the request of the Performance Director or Lead Physiotherapist to review, assess and hold follow up consultations with players
- Leading the assessment and diagnosis of injuries to players
- Arranging timely referrals for specialist consultation and treatment, including additional diagnostics such as imaging in conjunction with the Lead Physiotherapist
- Liaising with health insurers
- Advising on and delivering best practice medical screening and medical interventions for players including:
- Cardiac screening
- Concussion screening & management
- Blood markers
- Injury & illness prevention
- Emergency pitch-side support
- Management of relevant primary care issues in conjunction with each player’s GP
- Ensuring all FA and League mandated screening are undertaken in a timely fashion
- Medicine management for players including prescribing as appropriate; ordering, storage, checking, dispensing and disposal of prescription and non-prescription medication
- Work in conjunction with the physiotherapists to ensure the regular checking, maintenance and replenishment of emergency equipment
- Provide assistance in undertaking medicals for new player recruitment
- Establish and sustain relationships with local and regional medical services
- Available for consultation with the Manager, the Performance Director and the Lead Physiotherapist in between training and matches
- An integral part of the Performance Team, including working closely with the Physiotherapists and Sport Science staff
- Ensure all player records are kept up to date, adhering to GMC guidelines
Anti-Doping & Therapeutic Use Exemptions (TUEs)
- Support players and the Club in the administrative duties for TUEs where required
- Ensure all UK Anti-Doping and FA Anti-Doping requirements are complied with at all times, actioning any changes immediately
- Reporting any anomalies to the Performance Director in a timely fashion
- Offer input, guidance and advice to other Performance practitioners
- Attend multi-disciplinary team meetings and case conferences to provide medical input where necessary
- Use Club data/IT systems to report metrics to be used for analysis, audit and research
- Work in conjunction with other Club staff such as the Head of Safeguarding, and Player Liaison Manager
- Maintain alignment with the Club’s Academy Doctor and Head of Academy Medical
- Provide relevant CPD for the Performance Department as required
- Be responsible for the regular updating of the Emergency Action Plan for training and competition
- Advise on regular, in-house emergency medical scenario practice (as recommended by ATMMIF)
The post-holder may be required to carry out other duties to assist with the smooth functioning of the Performance Department as required by the Manager and/or the Performance Director.
Qualifications, Skills, Criteria
- Fully registered and licensed to practice by the General Medical Council
- Holds appropriate indemnity to treat and advise on 1st team professional football players
- Up-to-date full Advanced Emergency First Aid qualification (at the Level 5 ATMMIF)
- Evidence of attendance at an annual ATMMIF-R reaccreditation (or equivalent)
- Diploma in Sport & Exercise Medicine (or equivalent/higher as approved by the FA)
- UKAD ‘Introduction to Clean Sport’
- Safeguarding & Protecting Children/FA Safeguarding Children (acquired before starting role)
- Enhanced DBS with barred list
- The ability to communicate concisely, assertively, and effectively and at all levels of the organisation
- Full and valid driving licence
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- A strong referral network within medicine
- Experience of working in a professional football environment
- Experience of ultrasound diagnostic testing
Coventry City FC is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults. We are committed to safer recruitment throughout the company. An enhanced DBS check with barred list is a requirement of this role.
Coventry City FC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and its policies for recruitment, selection, training, development, and promotion are designed to ensure that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability, or gender reassignment.
We operate a blind recruitment policy.
We work in accordance with the EFL’s Code of Practice and are signatories to the FA’s Football Leadership Diversity Code.
Applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
The post-holder will be required to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for the Club Doctor role:
- Please read the job description and ensure that you meet the Essential Criteria for the role
- Please send complete the application form, on iRecruit by 4.00pm on Friday 8 March 2024
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview after the closing date
- Due to the high volume of applications, we receive, we are only able to contact those who are shortlisted for interview
If you have any questions about the role prior to applying, please email HR@ccfc.co.uk
Incomplete applications, applications received direct and from agencies, , and those which do not meet the essential requirements of the role will not be considered.