Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stourbridge (P) 0-0 Sky Blues

Defeat for the Sky Blues...

12 May 2023

Match Reports

REPORT: Stourbridge (P) 0-0 Sky Blues

Defeat for the Sky Blues...

12 May 2023

The Sky Blues suffered defeat on penalties to Stourbridge in the Birmingham Senior Cup.

It was the Sky Blues who had the best chance of the opening ten minutes of the game, as they thought they had taken the lead.

City caught Stourbridge on the break, and it was Obikwu who charged forward, sliding the ball in for Marco Rus, but the captain saw his effort saved, before Harrison Nee fired in the rebound, but the linesman’s flag was raised for offside.

Stourbridge’s opening opportunity came five minutes later, and they probably should have done better, but Joel Kettle couldn’t steer his header on target from close range.

Luke Bell was called into action minutes later, flying to his left to deny Jason Cowley’s long-range strike from finding the back of the net.

The City ‘keeper then produced an outstanding stop from only a few yards out, getting a strong hand onto Jaiden White’s powerful effort from inside of the area.

The Sky Blues were defending well and throwing their bodies on the line, this time at a corner, Bell pulled off another save and then blocks from Dermi Lusala and Rus kept Stourbridge out.

At the other end, Rus played the ball inside for George Burroughs and his strike was tipped over the bar by Jonathan Flatt.

HALF-TIME: Stourbridge 0-0 Sky Blues

City came out of the traps in the second half and they almost took the lead within the first two minutes, but after a smart run down the left, Harrison Nee’s effort was saved by Flatt.

Luke Bell was continuing to keep Stourbridge out and this time it was Callum Gittings who broke through the City defense, but Bell was quick off his line to make the save.

The Sky Blues thought they should have had a penalty just before the hour mark when Obikwu was brought down in the area, but the referee waved it away and the follow-up was put wide by Evan Eghosa. At the other end, an incredible block by Tristen Batanwi kept Stourbridge from taking the lead.

There was nothing to separate the two team and the game ultimately went to a penalty shoot-out, after neither side broke the deadlock.

Unfortunately for the Sky Blues, missed penalties from Rus and Burroughs meant it was defeat for John Dempster's side.

FULL-TIME: Stourbridge 0-0 Sky Blues


Sky Blues: Nee scored, Rus missed, Burroughs saved, Reid scored.

Stourbridge: Little scored, Rowe scored, Cowley scored, Kettle scored.

Yellows: Jason Cowley, Justin Obikwu, George Burroughs, Evan Eghosa, Harrison Nee.

Sky Blues Xl: Luke Bell (GK), George Burroughs, Callum Perry (30’ Eghosa), Josh Reid; Tristen Batanwi, Aidan Finnegan, Marco Rus (C), Dermi Lusala; Bradley Stretton, Harrison Nee, Justin Obikwiu.

Subs: Dan Rachel (GK), Evan Eghosa, Elliot Betjemann, Aidan Daush, Rylie Siddall.

Stourbridge Xl: Jonathan Flatt (GK), Tyler Little, Jack Wilson, Alex Prosser, Joel Kettle, Joseph Hull (55’ Burton), Callum Gittings, Reece King (C), Jason Cowley, Callum Rowe, Jaiden White.

Subs: Alex Worley, Dexter Walters, Demico Burton, Darryl Knights, Christopher Knight

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account