Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Wigan Athletic 1-1 Sky Blues

City held on the road...

14 March 2023

City were forced to settle for a point, after being held by Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium.

Viktor Gyökeres had put the Sky Blues in front with his 19th goal of the season, after he headed home Jake Bidwell’s cross.

However, with ten minutes left on the clock, Ryan Nyambe’s deflected ball into the box came off Kyle McFadzean and into his own net.

The Sky Blues started on the front-foot and were presented an opportunity to test Ben Amos with a free-kick after just two minutes.

It was Gustavo Hamer who stepped-up to take the set-piece and his effort stung the palms of Ben Amos, with the Wigan ‘keeper called into action immediately.

He had to be on his toes again minutes later, as this time Matty Godden was slid through on goal, but his shot took a deflection on it’s way into Amos’ hands.

At the other end, Danel Sinani forced Ben Wilson into a fine stop down to his left, before a goal-line scramble saw City clear their lines.

The game was end-to-end early on and Godden was finding spaces in-behind the Latics backline, this time getting his head on the end of a ball into the box, but he couldn’t steer his effort on target.

With 20 minutes on the clock, Wigan broke down the left-hand-side, with Max Power cutting inside, getting a shot away, which would be saved by Wilson.

City came the closest of the two sides to finding the games opening goal when Hamer picked out the run of Sean Maguire and he took it round the ‘keeper and from a tight angle, his shot was cleared off the line.

Viktor Gyökeres was searching for his 18th goal of the season and he came close, dragging his shot narrowly wide of goal.

HALF-TIME: Wigan Athletic 0-0 Sky Blues

At the break, Mark Robins looked to his bench and made a double change, with Ben Sheaf and Brooke Norton-Cuffy replacing Sean Maguire and Jack Burroughs.

It was one of those substitutes who helped create the halves first opening. Norton-Cuffy played the ball to Godden and his first time strike went over the bar.

However, City wouldn’t be denied again as they took the lead when Viktor Gyökeres got himself on the end of a Jake Bidwell cross, to head City into the lead.

The goal gave City a foot-hold in the game and they looked to put it to bed, going close to doing that when Ben Sheaf’s shot from distance was pushed away by Amos.

Wigan’s first sight of goal in the second half came with 75 minutes on the clock, with Will Keane’s shot being well-stopped by Wilson.

However, the home side had a stroke of luck when Ryan Nyambe’s cross came off of Kyle McFadzean and found the back of the net to draw Shaun Maloney’s side level.

City pushed for a winner, but ultimately fell short in their attempts, being held to a draw at the DW Stadium.


Goals: Viktor Gyökeres, Kyle McFadzean OG

Yellows: Tendayi Darikwa, Gustavo Hamer




Sky Blues Xl: Ben Wilson (GK), Luke McNally, Kyle McFadzean (C), Callum Doyle, Jack Burroughs (46’ Norton-Cuffy), Josh Eccles, Gustavo Hamer, Jake Bidwell, Sean Maguire (46’ Sheaf), Matty Godden, Viktor Gyökeres.

Subs: Simon Moore (GK), Brooke Norton-Cuffy, Michael Rose, Ben Sheaf, Josh Wilson-Esbrand, Ryan Howley, Tyler Walker.


Wigan Athletic Xl: Ben Amos (GK), Ryan Nyambe, Max Power, Will Keane, James McClean, Christ Tiehi (61’ Pearce), Ashley Fletcher (61’ Magennis), Danel Sinani, Tendayi Darikwa (61’ Aasgaard), Steven Caulker (79’ Wyke), Charlie Hughes.

Subs: Jamie Jones (GK), Tom Pearce, Tom Naylor, Charlie Wyke, Callum Lang, Josh Magennis, Thelo Aasgaard.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account