Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues U21s 2-3 Millwall U21s

John Dempster's side fell to a narrow defeat at The Alan Higgs Centre...

6 September 2022

Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues U21s 2-3 Millwall U21s

John Dempster's side fell to a narrow defeat at The Alan Higgs Centre...

6 September 2022

The Sky Blues Under-21s slipped to a late defeat at home to Millwall in the Professional Development League.

City took the lead through Will Bapaga, but fell behind after a brace from Abdul Abdulmalik.

In the last ten minutes City thought they had secured a point through Abel Alabi’s header, but in the 90th minute the visitors snatched all three points through Kyle Smith.

It was the visitors who had the first effort on goal and it came from a corner from the right-hand-side which was met by the head of Alfie Allen, but he couldn’t steer his header on target.

At the other end, a ball played inside to Harrison Nee gave the striker a sight at goal, but his shot was blocked on its way towards goal.

However, the Sky Blues wouldn’t be denied a second time and they took the lead when Tom Costello pulled the ball back for Bapaga, and he fired the ball into the back of the net.

As we approached the half hour mark, Millwall produced their best chance of the game and it came from a ball in from the left which was met by Seb Drozd, but his header sailed over the bar from close range.

Tom Billson was called into action for the first time, getting down low to his right to deny Abdulmalik’s thunderous strike from distance.

Half time

Four minutes into the second half, Millwall’s quest to get back on level terms continued and they missed another chance when Kamarl Grant’s header went wide.

A few moments later and the Lions did get their equaliser and it came from a flick on at the near post which fell into the path of Abdulmalik who had the easy task of slotting the ball past Billson from less than six yards out.

Millwall continued to have the better of the second half and went close to taking the lead when Grant’s header was well saved by Billson.

City’s first opening of the second half fell at the feet of Tom Costello, as his spectacular shot from the edge of the box whistled past the post.

Dempster gave a start to Under-18s defender Tristan Batanwi and he made a crucial goal line clearance to deny Abdulmalik scoring his second of the game.

Although, despite numerous blocks, the Sky Blues couldn’t prevent Abdulmalik getting that goal and putting Millwall in front with a finish from inside of the area.

With ten minutes remaining, City got back into the game and it was Abel Alabi who headed home Aidan Finnegan’s corner to make it 2-2.

The Sky Blues had a chance to take the lead in the final few moments, but Costello couldn’t connect with Dermi Lusala’s ball into the box.

But it would be heartbreak for the Under-21s as Millwall would snatch all three points in the 90th minute when Kyle Smith’s shot at the back post deflected past Billson and into the back of the net.

With City hoping to get a late leveller, they lost Aidan Finnegan to a second yellow card.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account