Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues U21 2-2 Wigan Athletic U21

1 November 2022

Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues U21 2-2 Wigan Athletic U21

1 November 2022

The Sky Blues Under-21s came from behind to earn a point against the Latics at the Alan Higgs Centre.

It was the perfect start for the Sky Blues as they were awarded a penalty after 90 seconds when Harrison Nee was brought down in the area.

The former Wigan man, Tom Costello, stepped up to take the penalty and sent the ‘keeper the wrong way to put City in front.

John Dempster’s side were in the driving seat and almost added a second when a smart move between Dermi Lusala and Ricardo Dinanga saw the winger get a shot away, which the ‘keeper saved well.

From the resulting corner, City got the ball back into the box after the visitors had initially cleared and the ball fell to Harrison Nee, but he was denied by a splendid save by the Owen Mooney.

Wigan’s first effort on Luke Bell’s goal was a strike from distance which Harry McHugh struck well, but Bell was equal to it.

Bell was called into action again with ten minutes remaining, saving well from Luca Latona’s shot from distance and then Luke Brennan headed wide after working his way into the box.

The latter had the last opportunity of the first half, taking a touch to beat his man and he fired the ball inches over the bar.

HALF-TIME: Sky Blues 1-0 Wigan Athletic

It was an evenly contested opening to the second half, with both sides battling for possession, with neither side able to create a clear cut chance.

The first chance of the second half came after Jay McGrath carried the ball forward and switched the ball out wide, with Ricardo Dinanga picking out Costello, but his ball back across goal saw Will Bapaga have a shot blocked.

However, just after the hour mark, Chris Sze found an equaliser for Wigan, when his free-kick from 25 yards out beat Bell in the City goal.

The visitors made their momentum count following their leveller and they took the lead on 65 minutes as Sze scored his second of the game.

The Sky Blues looked to get back into the game, with Will Bapaga striking the ball from range, only for Owen Mooney to make the stop.

Marco Rus was the next City player to try his luck from distance, but his free-kick went over Mooney’s bar.

However, Marco’s next free-kick was the move which saw City find their leveller, as his free-kick into the box was met by Nee, but his shot was blocked into the path of Callum Perry and he fired the ball into the back of the net.

With seconds left on the clock, City had the final chance of the game but Jay McGrath couldn’t generate the power to fire his header past Mooney.

FULL-TIME: Sky Blues 2-2 Wigan Athletic

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account