Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

UNDER-23S: Wigan Athletic 2-0 Sky Blues

Tisdale's side suffer defeat to the lat

24 March 2022

The Sky Blues suffered defeat against Wigan Athletic in the Professional Development League.

The hosts started on the front foot and created the games first opening when one of the Wigan Trialist’s flashed a ball across goal, which Divin Baningime couldn’t quite get on the end of.

At the other end, City looked to apply the pressure to the Latics and a move which saw Marco Rus tee up Josh Reid resulted in Wigan ‘keeper Sam Tickle denying the defender with a good stop.

The Sky Blues would be left to rue that missed chance as Wigan would take the lead through their Trialist who created the games first chance.

That lead would be doubled just ten minutes later after Baningime headed home from close range, leaving City with a challenge on their hands.

Shortly after the second of the game for the Latics, Wigan were reduced to ten men when Kieran Lloyd was shown a straight red on the half hour mark.

The Sky Blues looked to take advantage and had a chance to halve the deficit before the break, but Reid was unable to beat Tickle once more.

HALF-TIME: Wigan Athletic 2-0 Sky Blues

City started the second half as they ended the first half and they almost had a goal back within just two minutes, but Ryan Howley couldn’t keep his effort down, after a superb ball back by Will Bapaga.

Bapaga was involved again moments later as he released Fabio Tavares through on goal, but his curling effort went inches over the bar.

Just past the hour mark and Tavares found himself with a sight of goal once more, but this time he sent his shot wide of goal.

The Sky Blues continued their second half attack on the Wigan goal and this time it was Aaron Evans-Harriott with a shot from distance, but he couldn’t keep his effort down.

Cian Tyler was called into action for the first time in the second half with just five minutes left on the clock as he had to be alert to palm over Harry McHugh’s shot from close range.

A minute after this, Wigan man Kai Payne was shown a second yellow card, meaning the hosts entered the final few moments of the game with nine-men.

City’s final chances of the game came with seconds left on the clock when Josh Reid’s ball into the box was met by the head of Harrison Nee, but his effort glanced wide and then Evans-Harriott saw his shot saved by Sam Tickle.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account