Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FA CUP: Memorable Third Round Fixtures

We look back at some previous results in the FA Cup...

6 January 2022

As the Sky Blues get set to entertain Derby County in the FA Cup Third Round this weekend, we look back at some previous results at this stage in the competition.

regis scores v bolton.jpg

Coventry City 3-0 Bolton Wanderers - 10th January 1987

The Sky Blues got their FA Cup winning campaing of 1987 underway with a 3-0 win over Bolton Wanderers at Highfield Road.

In the winter conditions which saw the Sky Blues and Bolton play on an almost frozen pitch, it was City who broke the deadlock after 15 minutes when Greg Downs smashed home a free-kick.

A few minutes later that lead was doubled when Cyrille Regis scored from a tight angle to make it two goals within a matter of minutes.

Just before the half-time break, Dave Bennett scored the third and final goal of the game, as City booked their place into the next round.



Liverpool 1-3 Coventry City - 3rd January 1998

Following the turn of the New Year, the Sky Blues travelled to Anfield in the FA Cup, facing a Liverpool side who were chasing down Manchester United at the top of the Premier League.

Roy Evans' side took the lead after seven minutes when midfielder Jamie Redknapp struck to give the Reds the advantage, into what they thought would be the break.

However, with seconds remaining of the first half, Darren Huckerby drew City level, nothing less than what Gordon Strachan's side deserved.

As the second half got underway, it took just under 20 minutes for the Sky Blues to take the lead when Huckerby's shot was deflected into the path of Dion Dublin and he had the simple task of slotting home.

With minutes left on the clock, again it would be Huckerby who's shot was deflected onto the post and it was the on-running Paul Telfer who wrapped up the win in the 87th minute.



Coventry City 2-1 Stoke City - 6th January 2018

After getting past Non-League opposition in the form of Maidenhead and Boreham Wood, the then League Two Sky Blues were handed a home tie against the then Premier League, Stoke City.

It was the perfect start for City, as they took the lead in the 24th minute through a Jordan Willis header, which left Jack Butland with no chance.

The Sky Blues could have been two-up heading into the break, as Marc McNulty came within incheas of doubling City's lead.

However, following the restart, the Premier League side drew level from the spot when Scotland international Charlie Adam sent Liam O'Brien the wrong way.

With the game hanging in the balance it was an unlikely hero who stole the headlines, as Jack Grimmer scored from 25 yards-out to send City through to the Fourth Round and secure a memorable giant killing in the FA Cup.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account