Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

UNDER-23S: Sky Blues 6-1 Hull City

1 February 2022

Match Reports

UNDER-23S: Sky Blues 6-1 Hull City

1 February 2022

Luke Tisdale's Under-23s thrashed Hull City this afternoon 6-1 at the Alan Higgs Centre.

It was the visitors who had the first opportunity of the game and it was Tom Nixon who cut onto his left with a shot from the edge of the area, but his shot drifted wide.

City had their first chance and it was from an direct free-kick inside of the area following a pass back from Hull, however Fabio Tavares saw his strike come back off on of the 10 players on the line.

The Sky Blues would take the lead just after the 20 minute mark and it was a superb cross by Jonny Ngandu which was met by the head of Jay McGrath to score the games opening goal.

However, at the other end, McGrath was adjudged to have brought down Josh Hinds in the box and the referee awarded a penalty, which was converted by McAuley Snelgrove to bring the visitors level.

McGrath’s centre back partner, George Burroughs almost brought the Sky Blues back in front, but his shot from inside of the area was cleared off the line.

The Sky Blues would regain the lead just before the break and it was Will Bapaga who won back possession deep in the Hull half and found a pass to Fabio Tavares, who then calmly slotted the ball home to make it 2-1.


HALF-TIME: Sky Blues 2-1 Hull City


After the break the Sky Blues dominated possession and they almost saw their lead double when Bapaga got the ball out of his feet and drilled a shot towards goal, which deflected behind for a corner.

Despite that missed opportunity for a third, Tisdale’s side didn’t have to wait long for a third as it came when Tavares picked out Ryan Howley in space and he drove forward and calmly slotted past the ‘keeper.

Moments before being withdrawn, Marco Rus attempted an overhead kick, which went inches over the bar, but that would prove to be his last piece of action as Ricardo Dinanga entered the game.

It was one way traffic and on the hour mark that domination was rewarded once more and it was Ryan Howley who scored his second of the game.

The substitute of Dinanga proved to be vital as he grabbed the Sky Blues fifth when he was on the end of Howley’s ball into the box, to head home and put the game out of sight.

The game would get further away from Hull when a corner whipped in from the right fell to George Burroughs at the back post and he bundled the ball over the line to make it six.

The visitors first glimpse of goal in the second half came with five minutes left on the clock and Cian Tyler had to be alert to make a superb stop to deny Snelgrove.

It could have been 7-1 when Jonny Ngandu looked to get in on the act, with what would have been the goal of the game, but his shot from distance came back off the bar.

FULL-TIME: Sky Blues 6-1 Hull City


Starting Xl: Cian Tyler (GK), George Burroughs, Jay McGrath, Josh Reid, Marco Rus (59' Dinanga), Jonny Ngandu, Aidan Finnegan (71' Nee), Jodi Jones (64' Evans-Harriott), Will Bapaga, Ryan Howley, Fabio Tavares.

Subs: Luke Bell (GK), Fionn O'Brien, Ricardo Dinanga, Aaron Evans-Harriott, Harrison Nee

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account