Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Southampton 2-1 Sky Blues

A valiant display by the Sky Blues...

5 February 2022

Match Reports

REPORT: Southampton 2-1 Sky Blues

A valiant display by the Sky Blues...

5 February 2022

The Sky Blues narrowly fell to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Premier League Southampton at St Mary's, having pushed the Saints into extra-time in the FA Cup Fourth Round.

The Sky Blues came racing out the blocks, with Viktor Gyökeres bursting forward, followed by Josh Eccles’ long-range to force a save from Willy Caballero.

A neat corner routine, crafted by James Ward-Prowse, found its way to Theo Walcott, whose strike was equally met by Simon Moore, as the Saints looked to respond to City’s early surge.

However, the opening goal was nearly that of the Sky Blues, when Jake Bidwell’s whipped cross sent Thierry Small into panic mode, nearly causing the youngster to head the ball into his own net.

Minutes later, the Sky Blues broke the deadlock after a stunning one-two, orchestrated by Ben Sheaf, sent Gyökeres one-on-one with Caballero, leaving the Swede to cooly dispatch to put City ahead.

On his return to the side, Ian Maatsen came inches away from doubling the score, on two occasions, rifling a volley over the bar, before finding space 18-yards-out and dragging his shot narrowly wide of the post.

HALF-TIME: Southampton 0-1 Sky Blues

Looking to edge their way back into the tie, Southampton had a flurry of chances to kick-start the half, pinning the Sky Blues in their own half.

Saints substitute Stuart Armstrong levelled the contest, just past the hour mark, with a spectacular long-range strike.

The Sky Blues’ continued to weather the storm and carved out a chance of their own, which fell to Martyn Waghorn, but Caballero showed his quality, standing tall and palming away the danger.

With the game running into the final stages of regulation time, neither side were able to find the tie-winning goal, sending the match to extra-time.

FULL-TIME: Southampton 1-1 Sky Blues

Tired legs started to set in beyond the 90 minute mark, as both sides looked for a cup hero.

Southampton found theirs in Kyle Walker-Peters, whose effort cruely deflected off a Sky Blues defender and squeezed past Moore into the far corner.

Waghorn had the ball in the back of the net in the final seconds of extra-time, only for the finish to be chalked off for an offside call, as the Sky Blues agonisingly fell to defeat.

FULL-TIME (ET): Southampton 2-1 Sky Blues


SCORERS: Viktor Gyökeres (22’), Stuart Armstrong (63’), Kyle Walker-Peters (112')

CARDS: Josh Eccles (41’), Gustavo Hamer (45’), Ben Sheaf (58’), Tino Livramento (78’), Todd Kane (104'), Jake Clarke-Salter (117')



Southampton XI: Willy Caballero (GK), Tino Livramento (Oriol Romeu 90'), Yan Valery, Lyanco (Nathan Redmond 34’), Jack Stephens, Thierry Small (Kyle Walker-Peters 46’), Ibrahima Dialla, James Ward-Prowse (C), Theo Walcott (Armando Broja 64’), Adam Armstrong (Stuart Armstrong 46’), Shane Long.

Unused Subs: Harry Lewis (GK), Che Adams, Mohammed Salisu, Mohamed Elyounoussi.


Sky Blues XI: Simon Moore (GK), Jake Clarke-Salter, Michael Rose, Callum O'Hare (Jodi Jones 89’), Ben Sheaf, Dom Hyam (C), Viktor Gyökeres, Ian Maatsen (Jordan Shipley 64’), Jake Bidwell (Todd Kane 73’), Josh Eccles (Martyn Waghorn 73’), Gustavo Hamer (Jamie Allen 73’).

Unused Subs: Ben Wilson (GK), Kyle McFadzean, Fabio Tavares, Ryan Howley.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account