Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

UNDER-23S: Charlton 3-3 Sky Blues

City come from behind to earn a point...

4 April 2022

Match Reports

UNDER-23S: Charlton 3-3 Sky Blues

City come from behind to earn a point...

4 April 2022

The Under-23s came from 3-1 down with five minutes remaining to earn a point at the Valley against Charlton Athletic.

The Sky Blues had the first chance of the game and it came from some good work down right-hand-side by Ricardo Dinanga and he slid the ball in for the on-running Aaron Evans-Harriott who saw his shot from distance saved.

However, Aaron wouldn’t miss a second time and after some good work by Will Bapaga to win the ball back deep in the Charlton half, the winger teed up Evans-Harriott, who sent the ‘keeper the wrong way and put City in front.

The lead could have been double just three minutes later when a ball into the box was met by the head of Abel Alabi, who saw his header come back off the woodwork.

City continued to apply the pressure and another attack, this time down the left saw Harrison Nee pick out the run of Bapaga, but from a tight angle, his shot was saved.

At the other end, Ryan Viggars had the hosts best chance of the opening 20 minutes as he saw his shot going inches past the post from the edge of the box.

Abel Alabi was causing the Charlton defence problems with his ariel ability as he went close again from another Jonny Ngandu free-kick, but his effort went inches wide.

He was also proving vital in City’s box when a move from the hosts released Viggars 10 yards out in space, but his shot was blocked by Alabi who threw his body in the way.

Just before the break, Tom Billson was called into action when he had to parry a shot from distance over the bar.

HALF-TIME: Charlton 0-1 Sky Blues

The Addicks made changes at the break and they came out looking for an equaliser, which they ultimately found five minutes after the restart when Miles Leaburn picked out Karoy Anderson to fire past Billson.

Charlton then took the lead through a moment of magic when Jeremy Santos beat Tom Billson from 30 yards out with a spectacular finish, which left the ‘keeper with no chance.

That lead for the hosts was then doubled moments later as Daniel Kanu fired in from close range after City struggled to clear their lines.

The Sky Blues didn’t sit back and they looked for a route back into the game and it was another ball into the box which was met by the head of Alabi, but Molyneux in the Charlton goal saved well.

City were then offered a way back into the game when Will Bapaga was brought down in the area and the referee pointed to the spot. Jonny Ngandu stepped up to take the penalty and sent the ‘keeper the wrong way to halve the deficit.

Then, two minutes into stoppage time, a superb solo run from Bapaga saw him beat two defenders before slotting home to secure a point for City!


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account