Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Hull City 0-1 Sky Blues

Tigers tamed by Matty Godden goal...

30 October 2021

City came away from Humberside with all three points, and their second away win of the season, thanks to Matty Godden's first half header.

Mark Robins' side were wearing their new 2 Tone third kit for the first time and after the opening end to end exchanges, the Sky Blues went ahead at the MKM Stadium through Matty Godden’s fourth goal of the season!

Viktor Gyökeres collected the ball out wide and cut inside but before he could get his shot away Jacob Greaves slid in with a perfectly timed challenge however the ball went straight to Ian Maatsen.

The young left back then crossed first time and found the head of Godden in the box who found the far corner to give City the lead.

Godden then went close with a second minutes later after he was played through the middle by Callum O’Hare, but his effort was saved by Matt Ingram in the Tigers goal.

The home side won a corner after Jake Clarke-Salter blocked a dangerous cross, but Dom Hyam’s clearance could only find Greg Docherty who put the ball back into the box, however Di’Shon Bernard’s header was comfortably saved by Simon Moore.

Gyökeres was found on the right again and holding off the defender, took him time to fashion a chance with Ingram equal to the striker’s well hit shot.

Keane Lewis-Potter then whipped a ball in that found the foot of Tom Eaves however Simon Moore got down well to stop the shot, with the ‘keeper not to know the flag would be raised.

George Moncur and Lewis-Potter then tried shots from distance however they went nowhere near troubling Moore with the home side trying to find a breakthrough.

City earned four successive corners to end the half with Hyam the closest to finding to net with his effort, which was headed away for the fourth corner by Eaves.

HALF TIME: Hull City 0-1 Sky Blues

City started the half on the front foot with Maatsen teeing up Gustavo Hamer before Gyökeres earned a corner which was headed over by Kyle McFadzean.

Hamer then fired a free kick just wide before Fankaty Dabo fired across goal but couldn’t find a City shirt.

The Sky Blues then created a well worked chance on the edge of the box when Hamer found Godden who played in Gyökeres with is shot going just wide of Ingram’s right-hand post.

Hull won a throw in that was aimed into the box and flicked on towards substitute Mallik Wilks, but his header went wide of the goal.

Jamie Allen then did a one two with Viktor Gyökeres but his shot whilst under pressure went over the bar.

Maatsen then fired another cross in which flew just over the head of Tyler Walker as the Sky Blues pushed for a second.

Callum Elder whipped a free kick into the box which Wilks turned goal bound and was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Moore.

Deep into stoppage time, the home side won a free kick but Elder couldn’t get his effort on target and with that City earned their first win on the road since August!

FULL TIME: Hull City 0-1 Sky Blues

SCORERS: Matty Godden (9’)

CARDS: Tom Eaves (53’), Andy Cannon (65’)



Sky Blues XI: Simon Moore (GK), Fankaty Dabo, Dom Hyam, Kyle McFadzean (C), Jake Clarke-Salter, Ian Maatsen, Gustavo Hamer (Liam Kelly 83’), Ben Sheaf, Callum O'Hare, Matty Godden (Jamie Allen 68’), Viktor Gyökeres (Tyler Walker 76’).

Unused subs: Ben Wilson (GK), Michael Rose, Todd Kane, Martyn Waghorn.

Hull City XI: Matt Ingram (GK), Josh Emmanuel, Di’Shon Bernard, Jacob Greaves, Callum Elder, Richard Smallwood (C) (Sean McLoughlin 46’), Greg Docherty, George Moncur (Mallik Wilks 63’), Andy Cannon, Keane Lewis-Potter, Tom Eaves (Josh Magennis 63’).

Unused Subs: Harvey Cartwright (GK), Lewie Coyle, Ryan Longman, Matt Smith.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account