Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

UNDER-23S: Sheffield United 3-2 Sky Blues

Ten men of City slip to defeat...

8 March 2021

Match Reports

UNDER-23S: Sheffield United 3-2 Sky Blues

Ten men of City slip to defeat...

8 March 2021

The Sky Blues fell to a narrow defeat in a close affair against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane.

The Sky Blues took some time to grow into the game as the hosts enjoyed the early exchanges at Bramall Lane.

The first chance for the Blades came when Ndiaye worked his way into the box and pulled the ball back for Gomis, but effort sailed over the bar.

Ndiaye was involved once more moments later but this time his cross needed a good interception by the returning Morgan Williams to deny Jebbo at the back post.

Tom Billson was called into action from the resulting corner as he made a fine stop from close range to deny Neal from finding the back of the net.

However, despite Sheffield United’s early chances it was arguably the Sky Blues who had the best opening of the game and it came down the left-hand-side through Joe Newton and the left-back picked out David Bremang with a low ball across the box, but the striker’s effort went over.

Just as City were growing into the game, they suffered a major set-back when Morgan Williams was shown a straight red card and then minutes later the hosts took the lead.

Frank Maguire eventually pulled the ball back from the left and he picked out Illan Ndiaye he slotted past Billson to put the Blades 1-0 in front.

After reorganising the defence following Williams’ departure, Tisdale’s side responded well to going a man and a goal behind.

Bremang went close to equalising when this time he was on the end of a Jonny Ngandu ball into the box, but the striker headed over.

However, just before the break, Ngandu would draw City level after Wesley Jobello beat his man down the right and picked out the City captain on the edge of the area and he made no mistake in finding the back of the net.

HALF-TIME: Sheffield United 1-1 Sky Blues

After the restart, United retook the lead after just four minutes when Kyron Gordon rose highest in the box to head home a Boyesey corner.

The hosts had a few half chances following Gordon’s goal, but they were unable to convert, leaving them ruing their missed opportunities.

That was because, David Bremang drew things level when he was on the end of Jordan Young’s ball across goal to make it 2-2 at Bramall Lane.

Moments later, Tom Billson and almost the whole Sky Blues squad were called into action as firstly Tom made a superb stop from a corner and then on the follow-up, a goal-line scramble, which lasted what seemed a lifetime, was finally cleared by City.

Both sides then had chances to take the lead, firstly Bremang watched on as his header was held onto by the Blades ‘keeper and the at the other end, Jack Burroughs was on the line to clear away Hackford’s effort.

Although, just a minute later and the hosts would go in front again when Daniel Jebbison slammed home from a Femi Seriki cross.

City’s last chance to find an equaliser fell to the captain, but Ngandu couldn’t add to his tally as he watched on as his effort went inches over the bar.

FULL-TIME: Sheffield United 3-2 Sky Blues


Sky Blues Xl: Tom Billson (GK), Jack Burroughs, Blaine Rowe, Morgan Williams, Joe Newton, Josh Eccles, Jonny Ngandu (C), Will Bapaga, Wesley Jobello, Jordan Young (81’ Bartlett), David Bremang.

Subs: Cian Tyler (GK), Dan Lafferty, Dan Bartlett, George Burroughs, Trialist.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account