Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues 23s 4-4 Barnsley 23s

Thrilling encounter at the Alan Higgs Centre...

11 January 2021

It was a quiet opening to the game, with chances coming few and far between during the first 15 minutes of the game at the Alan Higgs Centre.

The first chance of the game did fall to the Sky Blues and it was the captain on his return to the side Jonny Ngandu who played a wonderful through ball for David Bremang, but he was denied by former City ‘keeper, Corey Addai.

A few seconds later Will Bapaga had a chance from the edge of the box, but his shot was comfortable for Addai who gathered the ball into his arms.

However, it was the visitors who took the lead and it was Isaac Christie-Davies who curled the ball into the top corner from the edge of the area to make it 1-0.

Tom Billson was called into action on the half-hour mark as he made a good stop to deny Cameron Thompson who had cut inside onto his right.

The Sky Blues almost found a leveller through Bremang after he was on the end of an Aaron Evans-Harriott ball into the box, but Addai made a good save to deny the striker.

At the other end, Billson made two smart saves to keep the score at 1-0 first to deny Thompson and then the advancing Charlie Winfield.

The Tykes did get a second and it was Jasper Moon who struck an effort outside of the box on the half-volley after Christie-Davies’ free-kick had come back out to the centre-half to find the back of the net.

After the break, Barnsley extended their lead and it came down the right-hand-side after some good work by Cameron Thompson saw the winger pull the ball back for Daniel Bramhall and he slotted home.

City had a chance to pull one back at the other end through the captain of the day, Ngandu following some good work to create space for himself in the box, but his shot went wide.

Tisdale’s side did pull one back and it came from the spot after Joe Newton was brought down, the referee awarded a penalty and Josh Eccles stepped up and converted to make it 3-1.

The midfielder sprung into life and he almost grabbed a second when he burst into the box, but his shot deflected behind for a corner.

From the resulting set-piece, Barnsley failed to clear their lines and the ball fell at the feet of Will Bapaga who poked home to make the scores 3-2 with 25 minutes left to play.

The Sky Blues hard work in the second half was finally rewarded and it was Bremang who’s ball across the box was hit onto the post by Harrison Nee and then the rebound fell to Bapaga who equalised!

But it would be short lived as the visitors restored their lead in the 74th minute and it was Charlie Winfield who latched into Christie-Davies’ through ball to fire past Billson.

The game was end to end and again the Sky Blues were almost level once more and this time it was Bapaga who teed up Eccles on the edge of the box, but his effort whistled over the bar.

City never gave up and they fought until the very end and they were rewarded once more after they were awarded a penalty when Ngandu was brought down in the box.

Eccles stepped up to take the penalty once more and he slotted past Addai again to earn City a point!


Sky Blues Xl: Tom Billson (GK), Blaine Rowe, Jay McGrath, Jordon Thompson, Joe Newton, Sam Pitts-Eckersall (53' Lafferty), Jonny Ngandu (C), Josh Eccles, Aaron Evans-Harriott (46' Nee), Will Bapaga, David Bremang.

Subs: Cian Tyler (GK), George Burroughs, Dan Bartlett.

Advertisement block