Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: MK Dons 0-1 Sky Blues

City progress into the Second Round of the Carabao Cup...

5 September 2020

The Sky Blues booked their place into the Carabao Cup second round, thanks to Tyler Walker’s debut goal.

The striker came on midway through the second half and opened his City account with less than ten minutes left on the clock for the ten men of City, after Declan Drysdale saw red during the first half.

It took just two minutes for the first effort of the game and it was the hosts who had it and it came down the right-hand-side as Lasse Sorensen found Carlton Morris in the box, but his header was superbly saved by City ‘keeper Marko Marosi.

Marosi was involved in the hosts next chance, as his pass was intercepted by Sam Nombe, but he was unable to capitalise.

At the other end, Ryan Giles found space down the left and charge forward, creating space to get a shot away, however his effort was deflected behind.

With just under 30 minutes on the clock, the Sky Blues were down to ten men, when Declan Drysdale was shown red for a challenge on Nombe in the box.

Trevor Kettle pointed to the spot and it was Morris who stepped-up, but Marosi got down low to his left and made the save!

A minute later, it was Giles who continued to cause MK trouble down the left-hand-side and once more he charged forward and got a shot away, which whistled past the post.

Again, the threat came down the left and this time Giles was turning provider as he picked out Jamie Allen in the box and he got a shot away, but he dragged the ball wide.


The first chance of the second period came for the Sky Blues and it was Gustavo Hamer who’s free-kick was taken quickly and it released Callum O’Hare, but he couldn’t direct his shot on target.

Marosi was called back into action quickly after O’Hare’s chance and it was Morris again who latched onto a loose pass, and with only the ‘keeper to beat, it was Marosi who came out on top.

The City ‘keeper was having a busy afternoon and he had to be alert to stop Jordan Houghton’s shot from the edge of the area.

Kyle McFadzean almost put the Sky Blues in front on the hour mark, as he was on the end of a Gustavo Hamer free-kick, but his header fell into the arms of Lee Nicholls.

Tyler Walker was introduced with 25 minutes remaining and he had his first chance in Sky Blue as he ran at the MK defence and tried to a curl a shot from the edge of the area into the far corner, but he couldn’t find the target.

However, he with less than ten minutes remaining, Walker would find the target and open his City account on his debut, as he punished MK for failing to clear a ball into the box and put the Sky Blues in front.

City almost had a second through another substitute, this time it was Amadou Bakayoko who was through on goal, but his initial shot was saved by Nicholls and then from a tight angle, his shot came back off the woodwork.


Goals: Tyler Walker 82’

Yellows: David Kasumu 67’, Baily Cargill 79’ Lasse Sorensen 80’, Jordan Houghton 91’

Reds: Declan Drysdale


Sky Blues Xl: Marko Marosi (GK), Josh Pask, Declan Drysdale, Kyle McFadzean, Dom Hyam, Ryan Giles, Gustavo Hamer (65’ Kelly), Jordan Shipley (65’ Walker), Jamie Allen, Callum O’Hare, Matty Godden (74' Bakayoko).

Unused Subs: Tom Billson (GK), Brandon Mason, Michael Rose, Will Bapaga.


MK Dons Xl: Lee Nicholls (GK), Dean Lewington, Baily Cargill, John Freeman, Lasse Sorensen, Jordan Houghton, Matthew Sorinola, Sam Nombe (73’ Mason), David Kasumu, Callum Brittain, Carlton Morris.

Unused Subs: Laurie Walker (GK), Jack Davies, Tali Jallow, Josh Bailey, Malaki Black, Tom Rowley.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account