Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues 1-1 Swansea City

City are forced to settle for a point...

20 October 2020

Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues 1-1 Swansea City

City are forced to settle for a point...

20 October 2020

The Sky Blues were held to a 1-1 draw by Swansea City at St Andrew’s on Tuesday night.

City opened the scoring through Jordan Shipley’s superb finish only for Andre Ayew to equalise for the Swans just before half-time.

Ryan Giles had a late chance cleared off the line as City were forced to settle for a point against the Welsh side.

Mark Robins made two changes from the side beaten by Brentford at the weekend, handing a first Championship start to Sam McCallum, in place of Josh Pask, with Shipley also returning in place of Amadou Bakayoko.

Swansea created the first chance of the game when the ball was headed back across goal to Victor Gyokeres who could only tamely head the ball into the hands of Marko Marosi.

The Sky Blues took the lead on 19 minutes when Matty Godden collected a loose ball out on the right before cutting it back to Shipley on the edge of the penalty area who guided a superb effort in off the left-hand post and past Freddie Woodman.

City searched for a second goal soon after and came close when Giles crossed from the left for Callum O’Hare who headed over the bar from eight yards out.

The Swans looked to threaten the Sky Blues goal again nine minutes before the break when Jamal Lowe fired well over after he was quickest to react to loose ball inside the penalty area.

However, City produced a lightning quick counter-attack at the other end with Shipley’s perfectly weighted pass picking out Godden who controlled on his chest before firing straight at Woodman.

The visitors equalised four minutes before half-time when Ayew drilled an effort into the bottom right corner after a swift break down the left.


The Sky Blues began the second half on the front foot when O’Hare slipped the ball through to Godden only for Ryan Bennett to make a last-ditch tackle to deny the striker a shooting chance.

City almost took the lead 20 minutes from time when Jamie Allen’s through ball was touched goalwards by O’Hare only to met by the onrushing Woodman with the ball ricocheting back off the midfielder and looping over the bar.

Swansea looked to snatch a winner minutes later when centre-back Marc Guehi tried his luck from distance, curling an effort past the right-hand post.

The visitors came close again soon after when the ball fell to Korey Smith only for the midfielder to scuff his effort wide of goal.

Mark Robins side thought they had found a winner when Allen’s shot was too hot to handle for Woodman only for the assistant referee to flag for an offside in the build-up.

The pressure continued from the Sky Blues when the ball broke to Giles at the back post with the defender’s effort deflected behind for a corner.

Ben Sheaf then tried his luck from a free-kick 35-yards from goal and came within inches of the left-hand post with Woodman desperately diving to his right.

The Sky Blues came even closer to a winning goal in the final few minutes with Giles having his effort cleared off the line before O’Hare headed agonisingly wide from close range from Sheaf’s cross.



Goals: Shipley (19’), Ayew (41’)

Yellows: Bidwell (56’)


Sky Blues XI: Marko Marosi (GK), Sam McCallum (Pask 79’), Michael Rose, Kyle McFadzean (C), Dom Hyam, Ryan Giles, Ben Sheaf, Jordan Shipley (Kelly 64’), Jamie Allen, Callum O’Hare, Matty Godden

Unused Subs: Ben Wilson (GK), Leo Ostigard, Gervane Kastaneer, Amadou Bakayoko, Max Biamou


Swansea XI: Freddie Woodman (GK), Connor Roberts, Kyle Naughton, Marc Guehi, Ben Cabango, Ryan Bennett, Jake Bidwell, Korey Smith, Matt Grimes (C), Andre Ayew, Jamal Lowe (Cullen 65’), Viktor Gyokeres (Fulton 46’)

Unused Subs: Steven Benda (GK), Kyle Naughton, Ryan Manning, Kasey Palmer, Yan Dhanda

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account