Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues 1-0 Cardiff City

City claim their third league win of the season...

25 November 2020

Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues 1-0 Cardiff City

City claim their third league win of the season...

25 November 2020

Tyler Walker’s second-half goal helped the Sky Blues claim a 1-0 win against Cardiff City on Wednesday night.

The striker made the most of a defensive mix-up before delicately lifting the ball over Alex Smithies to hand City the points.

Sky Blues keeper Marko Marosi was forced off late on but City comfortably saw out the final few minutes to secure their third league win of the season.

Mark Robins made one change from the team that drew with Birmingham City last time out, with Ryan Giles coming into the side in place of Callum O’Hare who dropped to the bench.

The Sky Blues created the first real chance of the game when Gustavo Hamer delicately lifted the ball into the path of Jordan Shipley, only to be denied by the outcoming Alex Smithies from point blank range.

Minutes later, Hamer sent Giles away down the right with the resulting cross deflecting onto the roof of the net with Smithies backpedaling.

City continued to dominate the chances when Giles came in off his wing to collect a pass before firing an effort straight at Smithies from distance.

Cardiff threatened the Sky Blues goal for the first time when Joe Ralls dragged an effort wide of the right-hand post.

The Bluebirds midfielder tried his luck again just past the half an hour mark, but was once again wayward with his effort, shooting several yards wide of the left-hand post.

City then produced a blistering counter-attack from a Cardiff corner, with Hamer sending Giles away down the left, before the winger cut inside and curled a shot that was well held by Smithies.

The visitors had a goal disallowed when Marlon Pack whipped a dangerous ball into the box that was bundled into the net only for the referee to deem there had been a foul.

The Sky Blues had the final chance of the half when Fankaty Dabo set the ball back for Hamer to strike from 25-yards out, with the midfielder unable to keep his effort down.


City made a quick start to the second period and created their best chance of the game so far when Sam McCallum delivered an excellent cross from the left that was met by the diving head of Hamer inside the penalty area and well-saved by Smithies.

The Sky Blues took the lead on 54 minutes when Walker capitalised on a mix-up between two Cardiff defenders, latching onto a loose pass and coolly lifting the ball over Smithies and into the bottom right corner.

Moments later, City almost doubled their lead when Shipley slipped Walker through on goal, with the striker shooting inches wide of the right-hand post.

With 15 minutes to go, Kieffer Moore connected with a corner from the left that was well-saved by Marosi.

Marosi then bravely beat Sean Morrison to the ball in injury-time, punching the loose ball clear, but suffered an injury in the process with Ben Wilson coming on to see out the final few minutes.

Substitute O’Hare set-up Giles for a late chance right at the death, with the winger pulling his effort narrowly wide of the right-hand post.



Goals: Walker (54’)

Yellows: Morrison (41’), McFadzean (51’), Wilson (85’)


Sky Blues XI: Marko Marosi (GK) (Wilson 90’+4), Fankaty Dabo, Kyle McFadzean, Dom Hyam, Sam McCallum, Liam Kelly (C), Ben Sheaf, Gustavo Hamer (O’Hare 78’), Jordan Shipley (Ostigard 89’), Ryan Giles, Tyler Walker

Unused Subs: Jordon Thompson, Jamie Allen, Wesley Jobello, Will Bapaga, Max Biamou, Amadou Bakayoko


Cardiff City XI: Alex Smithies (GK), Leandro Bacuna, Sean Morrison (C), Curtis Nelson, Joe Bennett, Marlon Pack (Vaulks 67‘), Joe Ralls (Harris 90’+4), Harry Wilson, Junior Hoilett (Ojo 59’), Josh Murphy (Glatzel 59’), Kieffer Moore

Unused Subs: Dillon Phillips, Sol Bamba, Filip Benkovic, Joel Bagan, Gavin Whyte

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account