Skip to main content Skip to site footer

WHERE ARE THEY NOW: Liverpool 2-3 Coventry City - 14th March 1995

16 March 2020


WHERE ARE THEY NOW: Liverpool 2-3 Coventry City - 14th March 1995

16 March 2020

Saturday marked 25 years since Coventry City’s 3-2 win over Liverpool at Anfield, when Peter Ndlovu netted a historic hat-trick.

His three-goal haul was the first by a visiting player since 1961, as City earned a famous win on 14th March 1995.

His first goal was a poacher’s effort, arriving perfectly at the back post and firing the ball past Liverpool keeper David James.

His second came from the penalty spot after midfielder Mike Marsh was brought down.

His last goal was one that earned applause from even the home supporters. Picking the ball up from halfway inside Liverpool's half, he forced his way through the Liverpool defence before unleashing an unstoppable strike into the net at the Kop end.

You can watch the goals on our Twitter below…

But what happened to Ndlovu and his City team-mates since that Premiership win…? We take a look...



Goalkeeper Gould signed for the Sky Blues from West Brom in 1992. He played 27 times, firstly under father Bobby and then Phil Neal. He moved to Bradford in 1996, before joining Celtic where he won the Premier League twice, League Cup three times and Scottish Cup once.

He also appeared for Preston, Hereford United and Hawkes Bay United in New Zealand. The Scottish international managed Hawkes Bay from 2006-2009, with coaching roles following at Wellington Phoenix and Perth Glory.

In February 2015, Gould was appointed Goalkeeping Coach at West Brom, following Tony Pulis to Middlesbrough in 2018. Leaving the Riverside Stadium in May 2019, he was appointed Goalkeeping Coach at Preston in August 2019.



Borrows played for Everton and Bolton Wanderers, but spent the majority of his career with Coventry City from 1985-1997. He was incredibly unfortunate to miss out on the FA Cup Final win in 1987 through injury. A reliable mainstay of the side for many years, he made 474 appearances and scored a total of 13 goals.

Leaving the Sky Blues in the Summer of 1997, he spent two seasons at Swindon Town before hanging up his boots.

He then held roles as Assistant Academy Manager at Coventry City and Derby County. Borrows has been heavily involved in player development and coach education for the last 12 years, joining the PFA as their Regional Coach Educator in the East Midlands in 2009.

In 2014-15, he briefly assisted fellow former Sky Blues defender Liam Daish at Nuneaton Town.


Dudley-born Burrows enjoyed spells at West Brom, Liverpool, West Ham and Everton before moving to Highfield Road in March 1995. A reliable left-back, he made 130 appearances but did not score for City before leaving in 2000. He appeared for Birmingham City and Sheffield Wednesday before retirement from the professional game in 2003.

Burrows emigrated to the Dordogne in France, and became involved on and off the field in local side Olympique Coux et Bigaroque.


Signed from Rotherham in 1993, right-back Pickering made 75 appearances for City before leaving for Stoke in August 1996. He would go on to appear for Burnley, Altrincham, Chesterfield, Chester City, Hyde United, Gainsborough Trinity and Mossley.

From November 2001 to July 2003 Pickering was the manager of Mossley. He became Woodley Sports manager in 2005, leaving in February 2007. A return to the hot-seat at Mossley followed in 2008, plus New Mills from 2010-2012. In 2013, he was the reserve manager at Hyde United.


Leicester City, Leeds United, Bristol City and Birmingham City were all represented by Rennie before joining the Sky Blues in 1993. A defender or defensive midfielder, he made 82 league appearances and scored 3 goals for the Sky Blues.

He left for Northampton in 1996, going on to play for Peterborough, Boston United and Burton Albion before retiring in 2002.

After retirement, Rennie worked in IT and then for Peninsula Business Services, advising companies on health and safety and employment law.


Irish born midfielder Boland came through the youth ranks at the Sky Blues, making 60 league appearances from 1992 to 1999. He moved to Cardiff in 1999 where he remained for over 7 years and played over 200 matches.

He played for Hartlepool before retiring in 2009.  A brief comeback for Limerick in 2010 saw a further appearance. After a spell in Middlesbrough’s Academy, he was Academy Director at Limerick from 2015 until January 2019. In April 2017, Boland was appointed interim manager at Limerick, spending one month in charge.


Wigan Athletic boss since 2017, Cook has enjoyed a successful managerial career – taking in spells at Southport, Sligo Rovers, Accrington Stanley, Chesterfield and Portsmouth too. He won the League One title with Wigan, and the League Two crown at Chesterfield and Pompey.

Cook started his pro playing career at Wigan in 1984, moving to Norwich and then Wolves. At Wolves from 1989 to 1994, he made over 190 appearances in Division One before a move up a tier and a short distance to Coventry. With the Sky Blues, he played 37 times and scored 3 goals – playing mostly in his first season at the Club in 94-95. In February 1996, he was sold to Tranmere Rovers. He moved to Stockport in 1997, and enjoyed a career resurgence from 1999-2003 when with Burnley. A loan at Wigan and a three-year spell at Accrington followed, before his managerial career began in 2006.


With hometown team Liverpool from 1987 to 1993, playing 101 times and scored three times, Marsh enjoyed a fifteen month spell at West Ham before a transfer to Coventry City in December 1994.

After just six months at Highfield Road, with 19 games and 2 goals, Marsh moved to Galatasaray to link back up with Graeme Souness – the manager who sold him at Anfield. He only played three games though, returning to England with Southend in September 1995. After retiring from professional football due to a knee injury, Marsh continued to play in non-league with the likes of Southport and Kidderminster Harriers amongst others, retiring with Accrington in 2003 when they won the Northern Premier League.

After retirement, his first coaching role was at Southport before becoming first-team coach at Northwich Victoria in 2008. Marsh returned to Liverpool to coach in their Academy, moving to the Under 18s in 2011 and then the first team before leaving in 2015. The same year he became first-team coach at Huddersfield, leaving in 2016 to work with England Under 17s and in June 2019 was appointed first-team coach at Swansea City.



Richardson enjoyed an illustrious playing career before his move to Highfield Road. Everton, Watford, Arsenal and Aston Villa were all stops on the journey, with a spell at Real Sociedad thrown in too. Honours included the First Division with Everton in 1985 and Arsenal in 1989, FA Cup in 1984 with Everton and the Cup Winners Cup in 1985 with the Toffees, plus the League Cup with Aston Villa in 1994.

Ron Atkinson, Richardson’s boss at Villa Park, made him his first signing after he was appointed Sky Blues boss in February 1995. The hard working centre midfielder made 93 appearances for City, scoring once in a League Cup win at Hull.

He left Coventry in September 1997, lining up for Southampton on his Saints debut against the Sky Blues only days later – a game his new side lost 1-0. Leaving The Dell in 1998 for Barnsley, a final spell at Blackpool in 2000 saw the midfielder finally hang up his boots.

He became youth team manager at Sunderland, then assistant to fellow former Sky Blue Carlton Palmer in 2001 at Stockport. He returned to Sunderland in 2004, then Newcastle United’s Academy – before being assistant to another ex City-man Steve Staunton at Doncaster in 2009. After that role, he returned to the Newcastle United Academy.




Dublin made his name at Cambridge United from 1988 to 1992, his 52 goals in 156 games earning the attention of Manchester United. However he only made 12 appearances, netting twice, for the Red Devils before the Sky Blues made a £2 million move for Dublin in 1994.

In 145 games, Dublin scored 61 games and was vital in the Club staying in the Premiership during that time, also earning an England cap with the Sky Blues and being the joint Premiership top scorer in 1997-98. Primarily a forward with great aerial ability, he also stepped in at centre-half.

However, Dublin moved to City’s rival Aston Villa in 1998. In December 1999, he suffered a serious neck injury while playing, but was back in action three months later. He left Villa in 2004, going on to appear for Leicester City, Celtic and finally back at Norwich City, where he started out as a youth player.

During his second spell at Norwich, he invented a musical percussion instrument called ‘The Dube’. Dublin has worked as a pundit with Sky Sports and across BBC Sport, and in 2015 joined the presenter line-up on daytime property show ‘Homes Under The Hammer’.



Born in Bulawayo, Ndlovu moved to England with the Sky Blues in 1991, having been spotted playing for The Highlanders. A prodigious talent with incredible dribbling ability, he proved a hero with the Sky Blue Army. In 176 Premiership appearances, he scored 39 times – many of them memorable solo efforts.

He moved to Birmingham City in 1997, before joining Sheffield United in 2001. He carried on playing until 2011, turning out for Mamelodi Sundowns, Thanda Royal Zulu in South Africa and Highfield United and Black Mambas in Zimbabwe. He later managed Mamelodi Sundowns and had a two-year spell as assistant manager of the Zimbabwe national side.

Always a player who brings a smile to the face of City fans, not everything was sunny for Peter off the pitch. In December 2012 he was critically injured in a car crash that killed two people, a female passenger and his brother Adam, a fellow Zimbabwe international, as was another brother Madinda. Ndlovu became a reborn Christian after the crash.



Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account