Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U23S REPORT: Sky Blues 0-0 Millwall

City held to a goalless draw...

9 March 2020

Match Reports

U23S REPORT: Sky Blues 0-0 Millwall

City held to a goalless draw...

9 March 2020

The Sky Blues were forced to settle for a point at the Alan Higgs Centre, despite several chances to win the game late on against Millwall.

The visitors went close to opening the scoring when a free-kick whipped in fell to Rob Strachan on the edge of the area and his shot came back off the woodwork.

Millwall continued to push in the opening minutes of the game and it was Tyler Burey look to smash a shot across the face of goal, but his effort whistled past the post.

Burey would be involved again a few moments later as he played a ball across goal, this time looking Aiden O’Brien, but the wingers shot from a few yards out went in the same direction it came in, as the visitors spurned a good opportunity.

The Lions looked to exploit the Sky Blues with balls into the box and it was a corner from Skalak which met by the head of Besart Topalloj, but he couldn’t direct his header on target.

City came closest to finding an opener when Jodi Jones cut in from the right and drove a shot towards goal and it went inches past the post.

The Sky Blues ended the first half stronger and again went close from range, this time it was Brandon Mason who won the ball back in the Millwall half, but his effort went over the bar.

After the break the Sky Blues picked up where they had left off and it was Bapaga who came close when he was on the end of some good work by Jones, but his effort was saved.

The youngster continued to be a pain in the Millwall defence as he cut in from the left and created space for a shot, but his effort was well saved by an outstretched hand.

The visitors were awarded a penalty moments after when Joe Newton was adjudged to have brought down O’Brien in the box.

George Alexander stepped up to take the spot kick but Tom Billson guessed the right way and made a superb save to deny the striker.

At the other end it was the Sky Blues left wondering how they hadn’t taken the lead as Jack Burroughs’ shot from the edge of the box looked for all the world to be destined for the top corner, but Sandford made the save.

Next, it was Jodi who watched on as his shot from distance whistled over the crossbar.

The Sky Blues were then awarded a penalty as a superb run by Bapaga saw him brought down in the penalty area.

David Bremang stepped up to take the penalty, but as Alexander’s early on, the penalty was saved by the ‘keeper.

City thought they’d won it with minutes left on the clock, but when Jack Burroughs raced through on the counter-attack he put his shot inches past the post.


Sky Blues: Tom Billson (GK), Charlie Wakefield, Joe Newton, Morgan Williams (C), Brandon Mason, Josh Eccles, Trialist, Jonny Ngandu, Jodi Jones, Will Bapaga, David Bremang.

Subs: Keelan Fallows (GK), Jack Burroughs, Jordan Young, Aaron Evans-Harriott, Bouwe Bosma.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account