Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Fleetwood Town 0-0 Sky Blues

The Sky Blues were held to a goalless draw at Highbury...

28 January 2020

Match Reports

REPORT: Fleetwood Town 0-0 Sky Blues

The Sky Blues were held to a goalless draw at Highbury...

28 January 2020

The Sky Blues were held to a goalless draw by Fleetwood Town at Highbury to extend their unbeaten run to nine matches in all competitions on Tuesday night.

In a game of few chances in cold and windy conditions it was a case of defences on top as City recorded a fourth clean sheet in succession.

Mark Robins named an unchanged side from the one that drew with Birmingham City in the Emirates FA Cup at the weekend.

In a tight opening to the game, the Sky Blues came closest to breaking the deadlock when Matty Godden turned Liam Walsh’s cross onto the post, although the assistant referee had flagged for offside.

The home side were then forced into an early change with Harrison Biggins replaced by Josh Morris after just 12 minutes due to a head injury.

Soon after Paddy Madden had the first shot of the match but blazed his effort well wide of Marko Marosi’s goal.

The Sky Blues first sight of goal came on 32 minutes when Jordan Shipley’s long-range effort was comfortably held by Fleetwood keeper Alex Cairns.

Fleetwood created the best chance of the half a couple of minutes later when Lewie Coyle crossed for Ched Evans from the right only for Marosi to make a superb save to deny the striker’s header six yards from goal.

Just before half time, Walsh came close to opening the scoring when Sam McCallum took a short corner into the midfielder’s path and his fizzed ball into the area missed everyone before landing on the top of the net.

Fleetwood missed another chance soon after when Coyle delivered another fine cross from the right which Madden headed just past the left-hand post sending the teams in goalless at the break.


Robins opted to make a double change at the break, with Max Biamou and Callum O’Hare replacing Jordan Shipley and Zain Westbrooke respectively as City changed shape for the second half.

It took until just before the hour mark for the first meaningful chance of the half to present itself when Walsh superbly turned his marker before having a low effort well saved by Cairns with Biamou unable to turn home the follow up under pressure.

The hosts had a chance of their own a minute later when Madden blasted a loose ball well over the crossbar.

Substitute Biamou was again in the thick of the action when he attempted a trademark overhead kick just past the hour mark but couldn’t make clean contact with Fankaty Dabo’s cross from the right.

The chances continued to come and go at Highbury when Evans was played through by Madden down the right-hand side of the penalty area with Marosi standing tall to make a smart stop with his legs.

Fleetwood continued to search for the opening goal and were denied by a brave block from Kyle McFadzean when Josh Morris looked certain to score.

City went straight up the other end and created a chance of their own when Dabo’s low cross took a deflection which was just about claimed by the backpedalling Cairns.

The ball then fell kindly to Biamou on the edge of the penalty area only for the striker to strike a first-time effort wide of the post.

However, neither side could find the breakthrough with a series of fouls breaking up the game late on to keep the game scoreless.



Goals: N/A

Yellows: Coyle 18’, Whelan 66’, McCallum 77’, McFadzean 87’, Souttar 88’, Evans 89’, Sowerby 90’+1, Walsh 90’+2

Attendance: 2,506


Fleetwood Town XI: Alex Cairns (GK), Lewie Coyle, Callum Connolly, Harry Souttar, Danny Andrew, Jack Sowerby, Glenn Whelan, Kyle Dempsey (Eastham 61’), Harrison Biggins (Morris 12’), Ched Evans (C), Paddy Madden (McAleny 73’)

Unused Subs: Billy Crellin (GK), James Hill, Paul Coutts, Harvey Saunders


Sky Blues XI: Marko Marosi (GK), Fankaty Dabo, Dom Hyam, Kyle McFadzean, Michael Rose, Sam McCallum, Zain Westbrooke (O’Hare 46’), Liam Kelly (C), Liam Walsh, Jordan Shipley (Biamou 46’), Matty Godden

Unused Subs: Ben Wilson (GK), Josh Pask, Brandon Mason, Jamie Allen, Jordy Hiwula

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account