Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Bristol Rovers 2-2 Sky Blues

The Sky Blues are held at the Memorial Stadium...

5 January 2020

Match Reports

REPORT: Bristol Rovers 2-2 Sky Blues

The Sky Blues are held at the Memorial Stadium...

5 January 2020

City were held to a draw at the Memorial Stadium against Bristol Rovers in the Third Round of the Emirates FA Cup.

Bristol Rovers opened the scoring from the penalty spot through Jonson Clarke-Harris, but drew level when Liam Walsh scored from range, before taking the lead again through Tony Craig.

After the break, Walsh’s shot was put into his own net by Ed Upson to send the game to a replay to be played at a later date.

The Sky Blues almost opened the scoring with just 34 seconds on the clock when a ball in from the left found Zain Westbrooke in space, but his shot was well saved by Van Steppershoef.

City would be made to rue that missed opportunity when Bristol were awarded a penalty after five minutes, when Kyle McFadzean brought down Tom Nichols.

Former Sky Blues striker, Jonson Clarke-Harris stepped up to take the spot kick and he slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

City looked for an immediate response and it was McFadzean who watched as his header was cleared away as it looked to be heading for goal.

Moments later there was another ball into the box and another header for a centre-half, this time it was Dom Hyam who rose highest, but he was unable to direct his header towards goal.

Jordi Van Stappershoef was called into action after 21 minutes as he pulled off a good stop to deny Jordan Shipley finding an equaliser with an effort from within side the box.

The Sky Blues efforts were rewarded after the half hour mark when on-loan Bristol City man, Liam Walsh drilled an effort in from outside of the box to make it 1-1.

However, the hosts would restore their lead a minute later when captain Tony Craig headed into the back of the net.

The last chance of the half fell to the Sky Blues and it was the skipper Liam Kelly who was on the end of a quickly taken corner, but he couldn’t keep the ball down and it sailed over the bar.

HALF-TIME: Bristol Rovers 2-1 Sky Blues

After the break the Sky Blues started the second half how they begun the first, with a chance inside of 30 seconds, but this time it was Godden who’s shot was saved.

The visitors almost stretched their lead when centre-back Ed Upson was on the end of a volley from outside of the area, but his shot came back off the post.

At the other end, the Sky Blues found an equaliser and it was a counter-attack down the right with Dabo finding Godden, who touched the ball down for Walsh and his shot was put into his own net by Ed Upson.

City looked to build on the equaliser and after the re-start they almost found a third through substitute Callum O’Hare, but his shot went inches past the post.

The Sky Blues continued to apply the pressure and it was Walsh who was instrumental in another attack as he released Godden and the striker’s ball back was won by the head of the diving Walsh, but he could only head wide.

Godden was involved again in the Sky Blues next attack and it was O’Hare who spotted the run of the striker, but from a tight angle he couldn’t hit the target.

Jamie Allen was introduced with fifteen minutes remaining and he was involved immediately as he found himself in space outside the area, but his shot went over the bar.

Chances were few and far between for the hosts in the second half, but they had a guilt edge opportunity when Luke Leahy beat Rose and then with just Marosi to beat he tried to lob the ‘keeper, but lift the ball high over the bar.

With seconds remaining on the clock, the Sky Blues almost snatched a winner through Matty Godden, but he was denied by a super stop by Van Stappershoef.

FULL-TIME: Bristol Rovers 2-2 Sky Blues


Attendance: 7,000 (1,802)

Goals: Jonson Clarke-Harris 6’, Liam Walsh 31’ Tom Nichols 32’, Ed Upson (OG) 53’,

Yellows: Kyle McFadzean, Tom Nichols, Jonson Clarke-Harris, Fankaty Dabo, Alfie Kilgour, Liam Sercombe.

Referee: Gavin Ward


Sky Blues: Marko Marosi (GK), Sam McCallum (Brandon Mason 84’), Kyle McFadzean, Dom Hyam, Michael Rose, Fankaty Dabo, Liam Kelly (C), Liam Walsh, Jordan Shipley (Callum O’Hare 51’), Zain Westbrooke (Jamie Allen 73’), Matty Godden.

Unused Subs: Ben Wilson (GK), Josh Pask, Jordy Hiwula, Amadou Bakayoko.


Bristol Rovers: Jordi Van Stappershoef, Alex Rodman, Tony Craig (C), Alfie Kilgour, Rollin Menayese, Luke Leahy (Tareiq Holmes-Dennis 83’), Ed Upson, Cam Hargreaves (Victor Adeboyejo 88’), Liam Sercombe, Tom Nichols (Kyle Bennett 64’), Jonson Clarke-Harris.

Unused Subs: Alexis Andre-Junior, Michael Kelly, Tom Davies, Lucas Tomlinson.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account