Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Sky Blues Under 23s beaten 3-2 by Sheffield United

14 December 2020

Club News

REPORT: Sky Blues Under 23s beaten 3-2 by Sheffield United

14 December 2020

Coventry City Under 23s were defeated 3-2 against Sheffield United on Monday afternoon, as a Sky Blues comeback was killed off by a late winner for the visitors.

After a quiet opening to the game, it was the visitors who had the first real chance and it was Iliman Niaye who latched onto a loose ball and rounded Tom Billson, but with the goal gaping he fired his shot over the bar.

However, the visitors wouldn’t be left to rue that miss as they took the lead a minute later when captain George Broadbent raced through on goal and slotted past Billson.

The City ‘keeper was called into action again minutes later and he produced a fine save to deny Kacper Lopata who’s header was tipped wide by Billson.

The Sky Blues almost found an equaliser at the other end and it was a ball over the top which fell at the feet of David Bremang and from a tight angle he got his shot away, and his effort whistle past the post.

City grew into the game and again went close this time through the returning Julien Dacosta who drilled a shot from distance but Jordan Amissah produced a good stop to deny the defender scoring a worldie.

Another chance and this time it was Aaron Evans-Harriott who twisted and turned on the edge of the area and created space to get a shot away, but his effort curled inches past the post.

The chances kept coming and this time it was Marcel Hilssner who watched on as his free-kick rattled into the side netting.

Just before the break, the Blades went close through Niaye as Billson had to be alert to dive to his right and push the ball away.

After the break the Sky Blues made a double change with Will Bapaga and George Burroughs coming on, and they quickly picked up were they left off.

Aaron Evans-Harriott was causing the Blades defence all sorts of problems and he almost found a leveller when he cut inside on the edge of the area, but his shot was saved by Amissah.

However, with their first real chance of the half the Blades doubled their lead and it was Zak Brunt who found the back of the net.

The midfielder had another chance after the hour mark from the edge of the area, but his low drilled shot didn’t trouble Billson as he dragged the ball wide.

The Sky Blues managed to pull one back with 20 minutes remaining and it was Marcel Hilssner who smashed a free-kick into the top corner from around 25 yards out.

Things got better ten minutes later as a mistake by Amissah enabled Jack Burroughs to find the back of the net and put City back on level terms.

The midfielder almost found a third for the Sky Blues almost seconds later as he drilled the ball at goal from the edge of the area, but this time Amissah saved.

At the other end, United had a chance to regain their lead but Oluafemi Seriki’s shot was saved by Tom Billson from around eight yards out.

Ultimately the visitors did retake the lead and this time it was Francis Maguire who slotted the ball home from inside if the area with what would be the last chance of the game.

Sky Blues Xl: Tom Billson (GK) (C), Blaine Rowe, Josh Pask (Malakai Reeve 62'), Julien Dacosta (George Burroughs 45'), Joe Newton, Jack Burroughs, Marcel Hilssner, Aidan Finnegan, Aaron Evans-Harriott, Gervane Kastaneer (Will Bapaga 45'), David Bremang.

Subs: Keelan Fallows (GK), Harrison Nee.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account