Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Swindon 2-1 Sky Blues

City slip to defeat at the County Ground...

15 August 2020

Match Reports

REPORT: Swindon 2-1 Sky Blues

City slip to defeat at the County Ground...

15 August 2020

The Sky Blues got another 90 minutes under their belts today, as they came up against Swindon Town at the County Ground.

Mark Robins side were unable to come away with the win, with the hosts edging out the game with a 2-1 win.

The first effort of the game fell for the hosts and it was a ball whipped into the box which was met by the head of Baudry, but his header wasn’t troubling Marosi.

However, the next shot on goal did force the City ‘keeper into a stop, as he got down low to his right to deny Payne from inside of the box.

City’s first effort on goal was blocked before on route, as Kyle McFadzean found space inside of the area from a corner, but he couldn’t get it through the crowd of bodies in front of him.

Fadz’s centre-half partner, Dom Hyam, was called into action at the other end, as he had to make a last-ditch challenge to deny Smith.

Although, minutes later, there was nothing Hyam could do to deny Smith this time, as the striker’s shot came off the centre-back and past Marosi into the back of the net.

Following the drinks break, City looked the stronger of the two sides and went close on a few occasions, with Jamie Allen in amongst it.

The midfielder saw one shot go inches past the post and another deflect behind for a corner, whilst also spotting the run of Bakayoko, but the striker’s effort was saved by Baxter.

HALF-TIME: Swindon Town 1-0 Sky Blues

The Sky Blues made five changes at the break and one of those to enter the game almost found a leveller for City, as Jodi Jones rifled a shot towards goal, but Baxter saved.

The hosts would however double their lead moments later, when Scott Twine found the back of the net after coming off the bench.

With 56 minutes on the clock, Swindon looked for goal once more, but this time Smith’s shot was dragged wide.

City looked to get back into the game and had opportunities through Matty Godden, who’s first shot went over and second was well saved.

Another substitute who came on after 60 minutes was Will Bapaga and he produced a moment of brilliance as he beat one and then another and then as he cut inside for a shot, his effort went over the bar.

At the other end, Swindon were awarded a free-kick from around 25-yards-out, but Ben Wilson was equal to it, as he made the stop.

City continued to look for goal and they went close through Jodi Jones, who forced the Swindon ‘keeper into another stop.

The persistence paid off, as the Sky Blues were awarded a penalty in the 87th minute and it was Matty Godden who stepped up and converted from the spot.

The Sky Blues almost found an equaliser moments after, but Jordan Shipley’s half-volley was saved.

FULL-TIME: Swindon Town 2-1 Sky Blues


Goals: Smith 22’ Twine 52’ Godden 87’

Sky Blues Xl: Marko Marosi, Josh Pask (46’ Burroughs), Declan Drysdale (Williams 61’), Kyle McFadzean (C) (Thompson 61’), Dom Hyam (Eccles 61’), Ryan Giles (Mason 61’), Gustavo Hamer (Kelly 46’), Jamie Allen (Shipley 46’), Callum O'Hare (Jones 46’), Marcel Hilssner (Godden 46’), Amadou Bakayoko (Bapaga 61’).

Unused Subs: Blaine Rowe, Jonny Ngandu, Jordan Young, Max Biamou.


Swindon Xl: Baxter, Hunt, Fryers, Baudry, Caddis, Grant, Lyden, Doughty, Jaiyesmi, Payne, Smith.

Subs: Palmer, Twine, Curran, Reid, Hannes, Giametti, Trialist.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account