Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Peterborough 1-2 Sky Blues

O'Hare's strike wins it for City...

29 August 2020

The Sky Blues won the first encounter of the day at the Weston Homes Stadium, thanks to Callum O’Hare’s late goal.

City had been in front when Matty Godden struck after the re-start, but after Ryan Broom had equalised, O’Hare restored that lead with six minutes remaining.

It was the Sky Blues who produced the first shot on target of the game and it was following some good build-up play in the middle, but eventually it was Jordan Shipley who got a shot away, but his effort was saved by Christy Pym.

City looked dangerous down the left-hand-side and it was Ryan Giles who fizzed a dangerous ball across the face of goal looking for Matty Godden, but Pym was able to gather.

Peterborough’s first effort came from former City man, Jonson Clarke-Harris, as he looked for the top corner from a set-piece, but the Sky Blue wall stayed strong and deflected the ball behind.

Another attack for Mark Robins side and this time it was down the right, as Leo Ostigard carried the ball forward and found Rowe, who found O’Hare, who spotted Allen in space, but his shot went over the bar.

It was Ostigard again carrying the ball forward, this time from his own half he feinted past Clarke-Harris and then had the time to spot Godden in the box, but the striker’s volley went inches wide.

Down the left, Giles played a one-two with O’Hare and once more put the ball into a dangerous area in the box, but Rowe at the back-post couldn’t connect fully.


City started the second half as they had ended the first and a few half chances for Jamie Allen and Gustavo Hamer, but nothing too much to trouble Pym.

Declan Drysdale, who came on at half-time for Leo Ostigard, came closest to opening the scoring in the first half, but his header went agonisingly wide.

However, the Sky Blues would take the lead minutes later and it was a superb goal, which saw O’Hare fly down the right, he beat his man and then found Godden in the box and he lashed the ball past Pym to put City in front.

Drysdale, who troubled from a corner earlier was causing trouble again, as this time he met the ball on the volley and his shot comes back off the woodwork.

The hosts would draw themselves level with 20 minutes remaining and it was Ryan Broom who won the ball back and cut inside to fire into the back of the net.

Tyler Walker came on after 72 minutes and he was involved minutes later, when he beat his man down the left and cut onto his right to get a shot away, but Pym was able to save.

However, City were back in front and it came after a succession of corners, which finally saw City take their chance as the ball wasn’t cleared by the hosts and it fell to O’Hare and he drilled it past Pym.

The Sky Blues looked to put the game out of Peterborough’s reach and it was a ball over the top by Jack Burroughs which freed Godden and he waited for the ball to drop before hitting it first time, but it went inches wide.



Goals: Godden 56’, Broom 72’, O’Hare 84’

Sky Blues Xl: Marko Marosi (GK), Blaine Rowe (67’ Burroughs), Dom Hyam, Leo Ostigard (Drysdale 46’), Kyle McFadzean (C), Ryan Giles, Gustavo Hamer, Jordan Shipley, Jamie Allen (72’ Walker), Callum O'Hare and Matty Godden.

Unused Subs: Tom Billson (GK), Dan Lafferty, Marcel Hilssner.


Peterborough Xl: Christy Pym (GK), Dan Butler, Nathan Thompson, Frankie Kent, Mark Beevers, Joe Ward, Reece Brown, Jack Taylor, Ryan Broom, Siriki Dembele, Jonson Clarke-Harris.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account