Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues U23 3-1 Colchester United U23

City secure convincing win against Colchester...

25 November 2019

Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues U23 3-1 Colchester United U23

City secure convincing win against Colchester...

25 November 2019

The Sky Blues Under-23s made it back to back wins in the Professional Development League with victory over Colchester United.

 Goals from Max Biamou, Jamie Allen and Gervane Kastaneer secured a 3-1 win for ten men City, after Morgan Williams saw red.


First chance for the Sky Blues fell to Jordy Hiwula, who was lively in the opening minutes of the game and he had a shot from the edge of the box, but it was held by the Colchester ‘keeper. 


The visitors were restricted to minimal touches of the ball in the first ten minutes, but they did muster a chance through their right winger, but his effort sailed over Tom Billson’s head and the City goal.


However, Colchester grew into the game and came close to opening the scoring when the U’s centre forward appeared to stay on side, forcing Billson to tip the effort into the woodwork.


City possessed a strong attack moving forward and it was Hiwula and O’Hare who combined with a quick one-two and then teeing up Josh Eccles on the edge which created the Sky Blues next chance, but Eccles’ shot was deflected behind.


Hiwula himself was set free by Jamie Allen as he broke the offside trap, but his shot was well saved by the United ‘keeper.


The City pressure eventually paid off as they took lead when Gervane Kastaneer’s cross was met by Max Biamou who found the back of the net to make it 1-0.


City were denied a second moments later as a superb stop by the Colchester ‘keeper denied Morgan Williams from converting Sam McCallum’s ball into the box.


The Sky Blues did add a second and it was great work from Jamie Allen who played a one-two with Callum O’Hare and then he slotted the ball past the ‘keeper to make it 2-0. 


City picked up where they had left off second half and were inches away from a third after Biamou burst into the box and pulled the ball back for Kastaneer, but his shot went over the bar.


Things took a turn for the worst for the Sky Blues when Morgan Williams was sent off for a last man challenge.


But going down to ten men didn’t effect City as they made it 3-0 after Biamou’s ball across the face of goal was turned in by Kastaneer for 3-0.


However, that advantage lasted a matter of minutes as a deflected shot from outside of the box left Billson wrong footed and pulled one back for the visitors.


With the Sky Blues down to ten, the game seemed to open up more with both sides creating goal scoring opportunities, first Hiwula hitting the side netting and then the visitors forcing Billson into a smart stop.


The ‘keeper was called into action again minutes later as he had to get down well to stop a drilled shot from distance.


With a man disadvantage, City defended well and restricted the visitors to minimal chances and instead it was the Sky Blues who came closest to adding another goal before the final whistle, but a strong hand denied Biamou in the 88th minute.



Sky Blues Xl: Tom Billson (GK), Tennai Watson, Declan Drysdale, Morgan Williams (C), Sam McCallum, Josh Eccles, Jamie Allen, Callum O'Hare, Jordy Hiwula, Max Biamou, Gervane Kastaneer.

Subs: Cian Tyler (GK), Joe Newton, Jack Burroughs, Charlie Wakefield, Will Bapaga.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account