Job Title: Head of Education and Welfare
Hours of Work: Such hours as necessary to carry out your duties at the discretion of the Academy Manager
Responsible to: Academy Manager
Reporting to the Academy Manager, you will be responsible for the organisation, management and delivery of the full Academy Education Programme and take the lead on implementation of the Safeguarding Programme, to support the academic and personal advancement of all schoolboys, apprentices and young professionals.
Main Activities and tasks
As a member of the Academy Management team, the post holder will be responsible for:
- Providing appropriate academic support for all Academy players from U9-U23
- Organising and ensuring appropriate delivery of all components of the ASE programme to scholarship players. Monitor the progress regularly to ensure success.
- Developing links with local education providers including local colleges and schools
- Organising and monitoring the School Release Programme for 11-16s
- Ensuring suitable academic support for trialists and players joining Coventry City FC.
- Liaising with parents, schools and colleges to promote a good working relationship between all parties where the interests of each player is the main concern
- Implementing a parent education programme
- Ensuring that the Academy operates within the guidelines of the EPPP
- Acting as a member of the Academy Management Team in order to help shape Academy strategy
- Implementing a life skills programme for all academy players
- Working with accommodation hosts for those requiring it, and making sure they meet the standards required by the Academy and governing bodies
- Working with the club safeguarding officer to ensure that the Academy acts in accordance with safeguarding legislation and provides a safe environment for all and provide support as required on welfare and safeguarding matters
- Supporting the organisation and carry out risk assessments for football tours and tournaments at home and abroad.
- Giving support to apprentices for career guidance and counselling
- Representing the club at regional and national meetings held by the FA, FL, and LFE
- Undertaking CPD as necessary and relevant to the post
- QTS – Qualified Teacher Status
- Degree level education or equivalent, preferably in a sports-related field, although not essential
- A1 Assessor and experience of NVQ assessing
- First Aid
- FA Safeguarding Workshop
- Welfare Officer Qualification
- Experience of teaching in primary, secondary or tertiary sector
- Experience of the football industry
- Experience of coordinating delivering and evaluating an education programme
- Experience of BTEC
- Running an academic department
- Managing safeguarding requirements for an organisation and dealing with individual issues successfully
- Managing staff
- Excellent organisation and planning skills
- Excellent written and numerical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- ability to communicate with parents/guardians
- ability to communicate with players of all age ranges
- ability to communicate with coaches
- Good people and programme management skills
- Ability to work using own initiative
These duties and responsibilities should be regarded as either exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other reasonably determined duties and responsibilities within Coventry City Football Club, commensurate with the grading of the post, without changing the general character of the post.
The post holder’s duties must be carried out in compliance with all the Club’s policies and procedures and also with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and subsequent Health and Safety Legislation. To be responsible for your own behaviour and act in a manner that avoids and discourages any form of discrimination or harassment. To comply with the Club’s Equal Opportunities Policy in line with the Equality Act 2010.
Coventry City FC is committed safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults. We are committed to safer recruitment throughout the company. An enhanced DBS check is a requirement of the role.
All staff are required to work in line with the Club’s safeguarding policies and procedures, and where applicable will be required to be checked via the disclosure and barring service.
Coventry City FC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and its policies for recruitment, selection, training, development and promotion are designed to ensure that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment. We support the Football League’s BAME project.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please send a CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for application 27th March 2019
Short listed candidates selected for interview.
Please note replies will only be sent to applicants who are short listed for interview and who meet the essential requirements of the role.