Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues 0-2 Blackpool

Sky Blues fall to defeat at Ricoh...

26 January 2019

It was disappointment for the Sky Blues as two early Blackpool goals in the second half saw them leave the Ricoh Arena with all three points.

After a slow start to proceedings it was Luke Thomas who was first to test the Blackpool goalkeeper. The Derby loanee was found by Zain Westbrooke on the edge of the area and his curling effort stung the palms of Christoffer Mafoumbi in the opposition goal.

Conor Chaplin then had a chance to put City ahead with 23 minutes on the clock. Superb work from Bright Enobakhare set Dujon Sterling free down the right-hand side and his cross found Chaplin unmarked at the back post, but he headed wide.

The Sky Blues were beginning to take real control of the game and moments later Zain Westbrooke had a chance to put City ahead. Another cross from Sterling caused the visitors problems as they could only clear to the edge of the area. Westbrooke fired a shot towards goal which took a nick off a Blackpool player before drifting just wide of the post.

Blackpool were offering little going forward but defended resolutely and Luke Thomas was next to try his luck. The winger cut on to his left foot on the edge of the area but dragged his shot harmlessly wide.

Westbrooke forced Mafoumbi into a smart stop on the stroke of half-time. The midfielder dispossessed a Blackpool man inside his own half and ran towards goal, however his low shot produced a fine save from the goalkeeper who tipped round the post.

That was the last chance of the first half as the sides went in goalless at the break.

It was the visitors who took the lead immediately after the restart. A free kick was headed back across the face of goal and Nathan Delfouneso was on hand to nod in to the empty net to give the Seasiders the lead.

Five minutes later the away side doubled their lead. A hopeful long ball found Armand Gnanduillet who outmuscled Dom Hyam to volley low past Lee Burge.

Jordy Hiwula had a fantastic chance to pull a goal back for the Sky Blues just before the hour mark. A superb pass from Kelly played in Hiwula, but his low shot was kept out by the legs of Mafoumbi.

Hiwula then came close again after good work from Thomas. The winger slipped in Hiwula, but his shot from a tight angle was comfortable for the goalkeeper to deal with.

With 15 minutes remaining Jonson Clarke Harris glanced a header wide. A floated ball in from the right-hand side was met by the striker but failed to test the visiting goalkeeper.

Clarke-Harris then had another headed chance to pull a goal back after good work from Sterling. The on-loan Chelsea right back beat his man before hanging a cross to the back post where Clarke-Harris could only head wide.

Burge had to be on hand to produce a save to deny Jordan Thompson making it three in stoppage time. The Blackpool man worked his way in to the box before his deflected shot called the City goalkeeper in to action.


Sky Blues XI: Burge (GK), Mason, Davies, Kelly ©, Chaplin, Hiwula (Clarke-Harris 73’), Hyam, Sterling, Thomas, Enobakhare (Bakayoko 64’), Westbrooke

Unused Subs: Addai (GK), Grimmer, Doyle, Brown, Shipley

Blackpool XI: Mafoumbi (GK), Daniels, Anderton (Feeney 35’), Heneghan, Delfouneso, Spearing ©, Thompson, Tilt, Turton (Pritchard 73’), Gnanduillet, Bola

Unused Subs: Nottingham, Kirby, Sorenson, Shaw

Attendance – 9,786 (362)

Yellows – Delfouneso

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account