Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues 1-0 Ipswich Town

City secure three points at the Ricoh...

18 February 2019

Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues 1-0 Ipswich Town

City secure three points at the Ricoh...

18 February 2019

City made it back to back wins in Professional Development League action against Ipswich Town at the Ricoh Arena.

Sky Blues made their dominant first-half display count as David Bremang scored the only goal of the game midway through the first 45.

The Sky Blues got off to a promising start and it was a quick free-kick from Jordan Shipley, who found Zain Westbrooke and his back heel fell into the path of Dexter Walters, but his effort was blocked.

Shipley would then look to test the ‘keeper himself when the ball fell kindly to the midfielder outside the box, but his effort was deflected.

Sky Blues looked to make that early pressure count and they almost did when a loose ball in the Ipswich box fell to Westbrooke, but his shot was cleared off the line.

The visitors had their first opportunity of the game and it was Conor McKendry who had a shot inside the box, but Corey Addai saved.

It was the turn of Harry Wright in the Ipswich goal to be called into action and he made a good stop deny Charlie Wakefield with a shot from outside the box.

After a quiet ten-minute spell, the Sky Blues almost found the opener after Wakefield was on the end of a Westbrooke pull back, but Jordan Spence cleared off the line.

The visitors almost handed City the lead a minute later when Barry Cotter headed off his own post from Shipley free-kick.

City continued to exert their dominance in the game, and they had another chance through Zain Westbrooke again, but his side-footed shot went inches past the post.

The Sky Blues finally made their dominance count as they opened the scoring with 34 minutes on the clock.

Charlie Wakefield fed the on-running Jak Hickman down the right and his first-time ball across goal is a good one and is superbly finished by David Bremang to make it 1-0.

Moments after opening the scoring, Dexter Walters showed some trickery down the left, as he worked his way into the box, but off balance, his shot went wide.

The visitors looked to get back on level terms before the break and it was Tristian Nydam who’s free-kick from around 25-yards-out went wide.

Just before the half-time whistle, City defender Morgan Williams put his body on the line to deny Simon Dawkins finding the equaliser, with a clearance off the line.

After the break it was the Tractor Boys who had the first chance of the game as their captain, Tristan Nydam headed wide from a corner.

Corey Addai was called into action a few minutes later as he had to be on hand to make a good stop from the experienced Ipswich man, Simon Dawkins.

Ipswich continued to apply pressure in the opening fifteen minutes, this time it was Nydam who tried his luck from distance, but he sent his shot wide.

Addai was involved again as he had to get down to low to stop Dawkins who fired an effort at goal from 25-yards-out.

City withstood the pressure from the visitors and almost doubled their lead in the 89th minute, but Josh Eccles couldn’t direct his header goalwards.

That would prove to be the last piece of action in the game as the Sky Blues held onto their 1-0 lead and come away with all three points.


Sky Blues Xl: Corey Addai (GK), Jak Hickman, Declan Drysdale, Jordon Thompson, Sam McCallum, Josh Eccles, Jordan Shipley, Zain Westbrooke, Dexter Walters, Charlie Wakefield, David Bremang.

Subs: Tom Billson (GK), Lewis Green, Chris Camwell, Morgan Williams, Billy Stedman.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account