Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues 1-0 Gillingham

City continue their unbeaten run...

24 August 2019

Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues 1-0 Gillingham

City continue their unbeaten run...

24 August 2019

A single goal from Dom Hyam was enough to extend the Sky Blues unbeaten run to six games in Saturdays 1-0 victory over Gillingham.

Making his first appearance of the season, Hyam broke the deadlock after 26 minutes as he met a Zain Westbrooke corner, which evaded everyone across the face of goal, and bundled the ball home at the back post.

The Sky Blues started on the front foot and just four minutes in, Matty Godden forced a save from Jack Bonham in the Gillingham goal.

Wesley Jobello drilled a ball high into the box towards the front man who leapt high over Max Ehmer a planted a header low at the near post.  

Ten minutes later Jobello had a chance of his own, as he got on the end of a Jordan Shipley free kick from the right, however he could not get enough power onto the header and glanced it wide.

After fifteen minutes Brandon Mason latched onto a loose clearance from Bonham and drove at the Gillingham defence before sliding a ball through to Godden who tried to lift the ball over the advanced keeper but Bonham made amends for his error and made the save.

Just three minutes after the opening goal the Sky Blues nearly doubled their lead as Godden had an effort cleared off the line as Gillingham failed to deal with another cross.

Fifteen minutes before half time Gillingham had their first real chance of the game as Alex Jakubiak had a shot from close range, however Marko Marosi got down smartly at his near post to beat the ball away to safety.

HALF-TIME: Sky Blues 1-0 Gillingham

The Sky Blues started the second half brightly and nine minutes in Godden went close again as he glanced a Sam McCallum cross across the goal, which was nearly met by the onrushing Jordy Hiwula at the back post.

Twenty minutes into the second half Jordan Shipley made a driving run through the middle of the pitch and fired a low left footed shot at goal which was gathered at the second attempt by the Gillingham ‘keeper.  

New loan signing Calum O’Hare made his debut for the Sky Blues as the midfielder replaced Westbrooke after 67 minutes during the second drinks break of the afternoon.

After 76 minutes Marosi produced an excellent save as he dived high to his right to keep out Mikael Ndjoli’s powerful freekick from 22 yards out.

Just six minutes later Marosi was called into action again as a scramble in the penalty area led to the ball being lofted high towards goal where Marosi acted decisively and punched the ball clear through a crowd of players.

The Sky Blues faced a number of corners and long throws from Gillingham in the closing stages however the defence stood firm to take all three points.

Goals: Hyam 26’

Yellows: Fuller 28’, Byrne 34’

Reds: N/A

Attendance: 5,624


Sky Blues XI: Marko Marosi (GK), Sam McCallum, Michael Rose, Dom Hyam, Brandon Mason, Liam Kelly (C), Jordan Shipley, Zain Westbrooke (Callum O’ Hare 67’), Wesley Jobello (Charlie Wakefield 80’), Jordy Hiwula, Matt Godden (Amadou Bakayoko 80’).

Unused Subs: Ben Wilson (GK), Morgan Williams, Josh Eccles, Will Bapaga. 

Gillingham XI: Jack Bonham (GK), Lee Hodson, Max Ehmer (C) Barry Fuller, Connor Ogilvie, Alfie Jones, Mark Byrne, Regan Charles- Cook (Mikael Ndjoli 30’), Stuart O’Keefe (Elliot List 63’), Brandon Hanlan (Mikael Mandron 85’), Alex Jakubiak.

Unused Subs: Joe Walsh (GK), Henry Woods, Ousseynou Cisse, Mark Marshall.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account