Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues U23 2-1 Barnsley U23

City get off to a winning start...

12 August 2019

Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues U23 2-1 Barnsley U23

City get off to a winning start...

12 August 2019

The Sky Blues got their 2019/20 Professional Development campaign off to a winning start.

Goals from Will Bapaga and Max Biamou have City a 2-1 win, after Jordan Barnett scored a consolation late on for the Tykes.

The first chance of the game fell to the Sky Blues and it was Dexter Walters who fired a shot at goal from a tight angle, but his effort was well saved.

City dominated the opening ten minutes and a superb long ball played forward by captain for the afternoon Declan Drysdale picked out Will Bapaga, who beat his man and got a shot away, but his effort was saved.

Walters continued to trouble the Tykes defence and he went close again after creating space for himself, but his shot went over the bar.

The visitors had their first opportunity of the game when a free-kick whipped into the box was met by the head of Romal Palmer, but his header was deflected behind.

The resulting corner saw Kezan Martin get a shot away from inside of the box, but he dragged it past the post.

City ‘keeper Tom Billson was called into action a few moments later when a free-kick from around 25 yards out was pushed wide.

Will Bapaga proved a threat down the left hand side and he created an opportunity for Max Biamou when some trucker saw him beat his man and he lifted the ball towards Max inside of the box, but the striker headed over the bar.

However, with seconds remaining in the first half the Sky Blues found the opening.

A superb ball into the box from Junior Brown was cleared only as far as Walters, who picked out Bapaga at the back post and his diving header beat Jack Walton to make it 1-0.

City almost doubled their lead after the break and it was Walters who’s shot from inside of the box was saved by Walton.

A few moments later and Jonny Ngandu will be wondering how he didn’t make it two when his shot from distance looked to be heading into the top corner, but Walton produced an unbelievable save.

Tom Billson was on hand to match what his counter part produced seconds later as he got down well to deny Aiden Marsh from scoring an equaliser.

Barnsley continued to press and Billson was called into action again when he denied Rudi Pache from close range.

However, it was the Sky Blues who would double their lead and it was Biamou who followed up Bremang’s header which was saved and he fired into the back of the net.

Billson was called into action again with just under 15 minutes from time as he was quick to deny Chris Song.

Barnsley did pull one back a minute from time when Jordan Barnett fired in at the back post to give the visitors a consolation goal.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account