Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Leeds United 3-2 Sky Blues - AET

City suffer defeat in PDL semi-final at Elland Road...

29 April 2019

Match Reports

REPORT: Leeds United 3-2 Sky Blues - AET

City suffer defeat in PDL semi-final at Elland Road...

29 April 2019

The Sky Blues Under 23s suffered heartbreak late on in their Professional Development League semi-final against Leeds United at Elland Road.

After coming from behind twice to draw level in 90 minutes, City were finally beaten in the 114th minute in extra time when Kun Mihaylov scored.

The Under 23s fell behind just after four minutes, when an attack through the middle saw Izzy Brown flick the ball on for Robbie Gotts and he fired past Corey Addai.

The hosts almost created a repeat of their opening goal, but this time it was Mateusz Bogusz with the shot, but Corey Addai produced a good stop.

City had their first shot of the game through Dexter Walters, after he latched onto a good ball from David Bremang, but his shot was deflected into the hands of Peacock-Farrell.

Leeds looked to double their lead and had half a chance through Jack Clarke, but his volley from outside the box was wild and went over the bar.

That would be the same outcome for Izzy Brown, as he looked to escape pressure from Morgan Williams, but he couldn’t find the target.

There was another chance for Brown as the half went on, but it was the same result again, this time sending his shot high and wide.

Addai was called into action just before half-time as he had to get down low to deny Alfie McCalmont, whose shot looked to be heading into the bottom corner.

The Sky Blues ended the second half on top and came close to grabbing an equaliser when Jack Burroughs ran onto a loose ball, but his shot was deflected behind for a corner.

The resulting set-piece saw Burroughs threaten again, this time controlling the ball well and looking for the top corner, but his shot went inches over the bar.

After the break, it was a busy start to the half for Corey Addai as he was called into action twice in quick succession.

Firstly, he had to be alert to deny Gotts and then he had to claw away, what looked to be heading for goal, a Jamie Shackleton deflected cross.

City’s first chance of the half fell to Jonny Ngandu and it was a free-kick on the edge of the box, after Josh Eccles was hurled down by Pascal Strujik.

The midfielder stood over the free-kick and looked to curl the ball into the top left-hand corner, but his effort went wide.

Another chance followed moments later and this time it was Josh Eccles who had an opportunity from outside the box, but his shot went wide.

That pressure would pay off after 59 minutes when the Sky Blues found themselves level through David Bremang.

Ngandu won the ball back deep inside the Leeds half and worked his way inside the box and cut the ball back for Bremang who slotted the ball into the back of the net.

Leeds found it difficult to create any opening in front of a resolute Sky Blues defence and it was Bogusz who had a shot from distance, but it went over the bar.

The hosts did create themselves a chance from down the left and it was a ball towards the back post from Clarke Odur and he picked out Ryan Edmondson, but his header came back off the post.

The striker would be denied by the goal frame yet again, this time the crossbar after getting his head onto a corner from the right.

Leeds must have thought they had found an equaliser however; they were denied by a piece of heroic defending by Josh Eccles.

A ball across the box fell to Jordan Stevens at the back post and he had an open goal to aim at, but Eccles put his body on the line to deny the midfielder.

However, the Leeds pressure eventually saw them find a second and it was Edmondson who found the back of the net.

As the game looked to be heading for a Leeds win, drama struck in the last minute of injury time, courtesy of Josh Eccles.

The midfielder picked the ball up from distance and smashed the ball towards goal and a wicked deflection caught out Peacock-Farrell and City equalised.

The first half of extra time came and went without much to speak of, but after the re-start for the second fifteen, Addai was called into action, making a good stop to deny Bogusz.

There were more heroics a few minutes later when Edmondson had slotted the ball under Addai, but then on the line, Declan Drysdale sprinted in to clear the ball away.

However, with six minutes remaining in extra time, Leeds eventually found the breakthrough and it was substitute Kun Mihaylov who found the back of the net.

City had a chance to find a leveller with two minutes remaining, but Bremang headed over from a Ngandu cross.


Sky Blues Xl: Corey Addai (GK), Jordon Thompson, Declan Drysdale, Morgan Williams (C), Sam McCallum, Josh Eccles, Trialist, Jonny Ngandu, Jack Burroughs (90’ Green), Dexter Walters (86’ Bapaga), David Bremang.

Subs: Tom Billson (GK), Lewis Green, Blaine Rowe, William Bapaga.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account