Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues U23s 3-0 Cardiff U23s

Sky Blues get back to winning ways at the Alan Higgs Centre...

14 September 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues U23s 3-0 Cardiff U23s

Sky Blues get back to winning ways at the Alan Higgs Centre...

14 September 2018

Jason Farndon's Sky Blues Under-23s got back to winning ways after picking up all three points against Cardiff City.

The Bluebirds were reduced to ten men after 25 minutes when Lee Tomlin was shown a red card and City capitalised before half-time, when Dexter Walter scored the opening goal.

In the second-half, City dominated from the off and added a secodn through Billy Stedman and a third from Jack Burroughs with the last kick of the game.

It was a bright start to the game for the Sky Blues, with Dexter Walters coming close after just two minutes. His shot was drilled towards goal, but was deflected behind for a corner.

The resulting corner was cleared but only as far as Zain Westbrooke, but his shot smashed into the side netting.

After a slow ten minutes for the visitors, their fire chance came from Lee Tomlin, who created space outside the box and looked for the bottom corner, by Addai was equal to it.

From the corner which followed, Antony Pilkington rose well and forced Addai into another good stop, before a good block by Morgan Williams denied him on the follow-up.

With 25 minutes on the clock, midfielder Lee Tomlin was shown a yellow card and then seconds later the referee brandished a red card and Cardiff were down to ten men.

City looked to take advantage and went close after David Bremang beat two defenders and slid the ball through for Stedman, but his cut back across goal was intercepted by the ‘keeper.

However, with five minutes remaining before half-time, the Sky Blues took the lead through Dexter Walters.

David Bremang chased down a loose ball and beat his man and drove into the box, teeing up Walters who, from just inside the box, curled a shot into the bottom corner, to give City the lead heading into the break.

After the half time interval, it was City who dominated from the off. 

Firstly, it was Josh Eccles who saw his well struck effort saved by Warren Burwood. Then from the rebound, Bremang was denied by the City ‘keeper.

Just a couple of minutes later and the Bluebirds keeper was called into action again. This time it was Johnny Ngandu who saw his well timed effort come back off Burwood.

The Bluebirds almost found an equalise through Wootton after a doubter attack from a City corner saw a cut back for the midfielder, but he couldn’t find the target.

Cardiff would be made to pay for their miss just a minute later, as Billy Stedman doubles the lead as he rounded the ‘keeper to make it 2-0.

The visitors had a chance with under ten minutes to go when Jamie Veale sent a free kick from 25 yards towards Addai’s goal and the ‘keeper saves.

The Sky Blues almost added a third moment later, this time it was Lewis Green who found space down the right and he fired a shot over the bar.

But they did add a third with the last kick of the game, as Jack Burroughs beat his man and slotted it past the ‘keeper.


Sky Blues Xl: Corey Addai (GK), Lewis Green, Reece Ford, Morgan Williams, Sam McCallum, Zain Westbrooke, Josh Eccles, Billy Stedman, Johnny Ngandu, Dexter Walters, David Bremang.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account