Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues U23s 1-1 Millwall U23s

Under-23s held to a draw at Alan Higgs...

19 November 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues U23s 1-1 Millwall U23s

Under-23s held to a draw at Alan Higgs...

19 November 2018

The Sky Blues Under-23s were pegged back by Millwall in Development League action at the Alan Higgs Centre earlier today.

It was a slow start to proceedings with neither side troubling each other’s goal in the first fifteen minutes at the Higgs.

The first shot fell to Sam McCallum, who beat his man down the left and created space to get an effort away but his shot went over.

City continued to put pressure on the Millwall defence and look for an opener and it was Josh Eccles who tries his luck next.

The midfielder was on the end of a loose ball and got a shot away on the edge of the box, but his shot went wide

The visitors had their first opportunity a few minutes later, as Issac Ofoale found himself in space inside the box, but his shot went well over the bar.

Millwall would be left to rue their missed chance as the Sky Blues took the lead in the 33rd minute.

The returning Jordan Ponticelli latched onto a defensive mistake and expertly found the bottom corner to put City one-nil up.

It was nearly 2-0 just under ten minutes later as a superb turn on the edge of the box from Jonny Ngandu created space for the midfielder and he curled an effort inches wide.

However, a minute before half-time and Millwall were gifted an equaliser after a mix-up at the back.

Lewis Green over hit a back pass which caught out Corey Addai and the ball rolled into the back of the net.

The first chance of the second half fell to Billy Stedman, as he was on the end of a Sam McCallum ball into the box, but he headed over the bar. 

The visitors had a ten minute spell, but were unable to force any of their chances into goal scoring opportunites.

Firstly, a ball switched from left to right found Rob Harvey in space at the back post, but the midfielder fluffed his shot.

Next, it was Ofoale who had an opportunity with a shot from inside the box, but he dragged his shot wide.

Controversy struck, as Millwall were reduced to ten men when the referee brandished a straight red to Reuben Duncan for a challenge on Sam McCallum.

Millwall put ten men behind the ball for the remainder of the game, with the Sky Blues going close through Ngandu.

The midfielder looked to curl an effort into the top corner from just outside the box, but his shot brushed past the crossbar. 

With seconds left on the clock, Dexter Walters almost found the winner as he beat his man and watched as his shot glanced across the face of goal.

Sky Blues Xl: Corey Addai (GK), Jak Hickman, Lewis Green, Morgan Williams (C), Sam McCallum, Josh Eccles, Zaine Westbrooke, Jonny Ngandu, Billy Stedman, Dexter Walters, Jordan Ponticelli.

Subs: Tom Billson (GK), Jack Burroughs, Bouwe Bosma, Costelus Lautaru, David Bremang.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account