Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Sky Blues defeat Aston Villa

The two sides faced off earlier today in a friendly behind closed doors...

17 July 2018

In a behind closed doors friendly at Bodymoor Heath Training Ground earlier today, the Sky Blues secured a 2-1 victory against a young Aston Villa side.

With kick-off at 11am at Villa's training ground, the Sky Blues looked to get some more minutes under their belt ahead of the start of the new 2018/19 season.

After a positive start, City took the lead on fifteen minutes, when some good work down the right by Jak Hickman, resulted with the defender whipping in a ball into the box which was met by the head of Jordan Ponticelli to make it 1-0.

A few minutes later and Tony Andreu was looking to double the lead, he created space for himself outside the box and then unleashed an effort at goal which went inches wide.

The home side equalised after 25 minutes, following a corner which was cleared out wide and was put back into the box and was slotted past Liam O'Brien.

However, the lead lasted only 10 minutes as City made it 2-1, after some high pressing by Andreu resulted in the midfielder winning the ball and putting himself through one on one and firing it past the Villa 'keeper.

Andreu almost had another on 42 minutes when he was on the end of another good ball by Hickman, but his effort was blocked.

There was time for another chance just before the half-time whistle, this time a cross from Ponticelli was met by the head of Biamou, but he couldn't find the target.

The interval saw a host of changes for Mark Robins side and the first chance came to one of those subsitutes, as Jonson Clarke-Harris pulled the ball back for Biamou, but his shot was saved.

Two minutes later and Lee Burge made a superb stop to deny the Villains from equalising, as he got down quick to prevent the winger from finding the corner.

From the resulting corner, a header for Villa was flicked onto the crossbar, but was then cleared away from danger by the Sky Blues.

City continued then to apply pressure on the hosts goal, a free-kick from Jordan Shipley went over the bar, an effort from Clarke-Harris was saved and then a shot from distance by Zain Westbrooke was saved.

With the final chance of the game, Chris Camwell almost made it 3-1, after he was on the end of a Shipley corner, but he couldn't find the target.


Sky Blues Xl: O'Brien (45' Burge), Hickman (70'  Eccles), Hyam (45' Grimmer), Davies (61' Camwell), Thompson (45' McDonald), Brown (45' Mason), Ogogo (61' Shipley), Doyle (61' Alassani), Andreu (48' Westbrooke), Biamou (61' Stedman), Ponticelli (45' Clarke-Harris).

Advertisement block