Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Coventry City 3-1 Cambridge United - The Sky Blues make it seven straight wins at the Ricoh

The Sky Blues pick up three points in SkyBet League Two...

30 January 2018

The Sky Blues made it seven consecutive wins at the Ricoh Arena in all competitions, as they overcame Cambridge United in League Two action.

Marc McNulty bagged himself another goal early on with a fine finish into the bottom corner from outside the area and then 20 minutes later Jordan Shipley headed home his first league goal at the Ricoh.

Cambridge pulled one back late on when George Taft scrambled the ball over the line to set-up a nervy ending,  but Michael Doyle found the net late on to put the game to bved.

It was a quiet opening 10 minutes to the game, but soon after the mark they game opened up and the Sky Blues took the lead.

Some good work down the left was switched by Stokes and the ball was met by McNulty on the edge of the box and the striker looked up and curled one into the bottom corner to make it 1-0.

The visitors then had their first chance of the game, but it was wasted by Jevani Brown who from outside the box fired one well wide of Burge’s goal.

The Sky Blues looked to extend their lead and the returning Devon Kelly-Evans almost did exactly that. Some good work down the right from Grimmer saw the ball put into the box, but it was cleared but only as far as Devon who tried his luck from 20 yards, but he hit the side netting.

But Devon would help in the build-up to a second Sky Blues goal ten minutes later, as he found McNulty in the box, who chipped the ball to the back post and it was headed home by Jordan Shipley, as the midfielder bagged his first league goal at the Ricoh Arena.

City looked to continue that pressure and almost had a third when Bayliss won the ball back and made a darting run and slid in Shipley who found the on running Biamou, but his effort was deflected behind for a corner.

Cambridge were after a goal before the half-time break, but Burge was in fine form and denied Uche Ikpeazu twice, one from close range and then another, tipping the ball over the bar after a curling shot from the edge of the area, before the referee blew his whistle.

It was another quiet opening to a half and it was the visitors who had the best chance of the first 15 of the second half, but George Taft saw his header from a corner comfortably saved by Burge.

A few moments later and Burge was called into action again, as he got down well to his right to prevent George Maris finding the bottom corner with a shot from outside thearea.

Sky Blues had their first effort on goal in the second half and it was a shot from range by McNulty which was deflected and well held by Forde in the Cambridge goal.

It was Sparky who continued to look dangerous, this time he was on the end of a Grimmer cross at the near post, but his header was deflected and hit the side netting.

The visitors managed to grab a goal back in the 84th minute, when Geogre Taft helped to scramble the ball past Burge.

However, into four minutes of injuiry time and Max Biamou put some great work down the right and pulled it back to the on running Doyle, who fired past Forde to make it 3-1.

Goals: Marc McNulty (10’), Jordan Shipley (30’), George Taft (84’) Michael Doyle (90+2’)_

Yellow: Rod McDonald (38’), Marc McNulty (78’), Chris Stokes (86’)

Attendance: 6,897 (493)

Coventry City XI: Burge (GK), Grimmer, Davies, McDonald, Stokes, Bayliss, Doyle (C), Shipley (71’ Haynes), Dev. Kelly-Evans(64’ Vincenti), Biamou, McNulty.

Subs: O'Brien (GK), Hyam,Haynes, Vincenti, Barrett Ponticelli, Beavon.


Cambridge United XI: Forde (GK), Halliday, Carroll, Deegan (C), Waters (72’ Azeez), Ikpeazu (Corr 84’), Taft, O'Neil, Maris, Darling

Subs: Mitov (GK), Azeez, Dunk, Phillips, Lewis, Corr, Davies.

Advertisement block