Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Sky Blues U23s 3-1 Colchester United U23s

City get back to winning ways...

19 February 2018

The Sky Blues U23s returned to winning ways in Professional Development League South action against Colchester United at the Alan Higgs Centre.

City fell a goal behind when Elijah Phipps opened the scoring for the visitors.

However, a second half turn around saw City score three goal through Chris Camwell, Jordan Maguire-Drew and Jordan Ponticelli to secure all three points.

Colchester took the lead with their first chance of the game as Elijah Phipps broke through and was able to slot it past Addai to make it 0-1.

It was almost an immediate reply for Cith, as Brighton loanee Jordan Maguire-Drew picked up the ball produced a great save from Dominic Wurasick, as he tipped his effort over the bar.

Maguire-Drew was involved again moments later when Kyle Reid beat his man down the left and put a ball into the box, but Maguire-Drew’s header was saved.

The visitors had their second chance of the game but Addai got down well to make the save and then from the rebound, Reece Ford blocked an effort off the line.

An attack came down the left from City next as Camwell linked up with Reid and the winger slid the left back through and he forced a save out of Wurasick.

United got a free-kick from just outside the area and it was Charley Edge who had a go from range but it was comfortably saved by Addai.

Maguire-Drew was involved again after 32 minutes, as a great first touch set him up to beat his man on the edge of the box and release a thunderous effort, which cannoned off of the crossbar.

The last chance of the half fell to the man who opened the scoring, as Phipps was played through on goal, but the Sky Blues ‘keeper, Addai pulled off a fine stop to deny him.

It was the Sky Blues who dominated the early stages of the second half, firstly captain Callum Maycock broke free down the left, put it through the defenders legs and played a superb ball across the box, but it was inches past Ponticelli.

Then, the Sky Blues striker was involved again as he won the ball deep in the Colchester half and beat the defender, cut inside and fired an effort at goal, but Wurasick pulled off the save.

However, he couldn’t stop City finding a leveller minutes later. Maguire-Drew whipped in a superb corner and he found Chris Camwell at the back post, who volleyed it home to make it 1-1 on 54 minutes.

The Sky Blues were almost in front five minutes later when Ponticelli’s cross was parried to Devon Kelly-Evans and he headed it back to the on running Callum Maycock who fired his effort off the crossbar. 

The dominance in the second-half continued and Coventry took the lead after 65 minutes when a counter attack, which started with Reid as he slid Devon Kelly-Evans through and the winger cut the ball back for Maguire-Drew and he made no mistake and slotted is past the ‘keeper to make it 2-1.

Kyle Reid was having joy down the left and he put a cross into the box, which was brought down by Ponticelli and he forced the ‘keeper into a save. 

After 75 minutes, City made it 3-1, as Jordan Ponticelli was rewarded with a goal. Devon slid the striker through on goal and he lifted it over the ‘keeper to cap off a sublime finish.

Kyle Finn and Jak Hickman came on after the goal and Finn almost made an immediate impact, when he cut inside and fired an effort towards the bottom corner, but Wurasick saved.

Colchester had their first effort of the second half late on when Paul Rooney fired an effort from range over the bar, in what would prove to be the last bit of action.


Sky Blues Xl: Addai, Camwell, Thompson, Ford, Di. Kelly-Evans, Maycock, Trialist, Reid, Dev. Kelly-Evans, Maguire-Drew, Ponticelli

Subs: Naylor, Hickman, Finn, Stedman, Green

Advertisement block