Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Sky Blues U23s 0-2 Charlton Athletic U23s

26 February 2018

The Sky Blues Under 23s fell to a 0-2 defeat in Professional Development League South action against Charlton Athletic Under 23s at the Ricoh Arena.

The Addicks managed to find the break through in the second when their number 14 was able to beat Tom Bilson who made a string of good saves in the game.

Then, with Jason Farndon's side looking to get the equaliser, a counter attack for the visitors saw them get their second late on, when the number 16 converted from close range.

The first chance of the game fell to the Sky Blues after 12 minutes, when a good exchange between Chris Camwell and Jack Burroughs, saw the latter switch the ball out wide for Billy Stedman and he cut inside and looked for the far corner, but the ‘keeper saved.

City were finding space down the left and this time it was Camwell who put the ball into the danger area and it bobbled up to Kyle Finn, who saw his effort blocked and then the deflection went only as far as Trialist, but he fired wide.

The visitors had their first opportunity of the game on the 25th minute mark, as their number eight found space outside the box and looked for the bottom corner from range, but Bilson saved comfortably.

Five minutes later another chance fell to the Addicks as their number 14 broke down the right and cut it back inside the area for their number 10, but he dragged his effort wide of Bilson’s goal.

However, Bilson was called into action minutes later, as Charlton’s number 14 found space inside the area and from a tight angle, he forced the Sky Blues ‘keeper into a good stop.

Bilson was involved again five minutes before the break, as a free-kick from the Addicks number nine was on target, but the ‘keeper got down well.

The last chance before the interval fell to Jack Burroughs after some great build-up play, a ball across the edge of the area by Camwell landed at the feet of the winger, but his effort went inches wide.

First chance of the second 45 minutes fell to the Addicks number 10, as he was played through on goal, but Bilson stayed strong and made a vital save.

The visitors almost found the opener a few moments later, when their number two had a shot from inside the area and the ball hit the post and then rolled across the line and hit the other post, before Jak Hickman cleared.

However, on the 57th minute the deadlock was broken, as Charlton’s number 14 was able to beat Bilson this time to put his side 1-0 up at the Ricoh.

The Sky Blues battled to get back into the game, but the next opportunity fell to the visitors in the 79th minute, when the Addicks number nine tried to curl an effort into the top corner, but it went wide.

A minute later and It was City who were looking for an equaliser and after Kyel Finn beat his man and looked to get a shot away from range, but his effort was well saved by the Charlton ‘keeper.

However, with seconds left to play, Charlton doubled their lead as their number sixteen tapped home from close range to put the game out of sight.

That would prove to be the last chance of the game for City, as despite battling, they were unable to find the equaliser in the game.


Sky Blues Xl: Tom Bilson (GK), Jak Hickman, Lewis Green, Josh Eccles, Chris Camwell, Callum Maycock, Trialist, Kyle Finn, Billy Stedman, Jack Burroughs, Morgan Crowther.

Subs: Sam Naylor (GK), George Hunt, Luke Rowe, Sion Green, Costelus Lautaru.

Advertisement block