Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Forest Green Rovers 2-1 Coventry City - City defeated by Collins strike

Forest Green Rovers have beaten the Sky Blues 2-1 at the New Lawn...

3 February 2018

The Sky Blues have been beaten 2-1 by Forest Green Rovers at the New Lawn.

Rovers took the lead late on in the first half when Alex Bray reacted quickiest to fire home a rebound from close range.

Marc McNulty did draw City level from the spot midway through the second half but the home side responded instantly when Lee Collins fired home a stunning strike to give his side all three points.

Mark Robins'' side fall to eighth in SkyBet League Two.

The Sky Blues came close to opening the scoring twice in the first five minutes. First, Jack Grimmer's byline cross almost caught Chesea loanee Bradley Collins unaware forcing the 20-year-old to back track and push the ball over the bar.

Next it was Josh Barret's turn to test the Rovers 'keeper, when he raced into the area and beat Faz Rawson only to see his powerful strike well forced away from danger by Collins.

Forest Green's best chance of the early exchanges fell to Isiah Osbourne. The midfielder found himself in plenty of space on the edge of the area and opened his body before slicing wide of Lee Burge's far post.

The home side should have taken the lead midway through the second half. Reuben Reid has been prolific in League Two for over five years and made the most of a Burge mistake the round and the 'keeper and fire towards an empty net, but Jordan Willis, who had only just re-entered the field after recieving treatment, lunged in to hook the ball off the line brilliantly. A life-line for the Sky Blues.

Rovers did take the lead just before half time. Top-scorer, Chrisitan Doidge brought the ball down on the turn in the area and forced a strong hand from Burge, but the 25-year-old could only parry to Alex Bray, on his debut, to fire Forest Green ahead.

City started the second half the better side and after coming close through Max Biamou, they were handed the change to level by Reid after he tripped Liam Kelly in the area. Up stepped McNuty to fire Mark Robins' side level.

The joy was shortlived, however. Lee Collins has become a very popular figure around these parts this season and restored his side's lead with a thunderous strike into the top corner. 

New signing Jonson Clarke-Harris was introduced with 25 minutes to go, and came close to levelling again from a set piece, but fired wide from range. It would be the last chance of City's afternoon.


Goals: Bray 39', McNulty 58', L. Colins 63'

Yellows: Kelly 37'


Attendance: 3,623 (992 away).

CCFC XI: Burge (GK); Grimmer (McDonald 31'), Willis, Davies, Stokes, Bayliss, Doyle (C), Kelly, Barrett; McNulty, Biamou.

Subs: O'Brien (GK), Haynes, McDonald, Shipley, Vincenti, Clarke-Harris, Beavon.

FGRFC XI: B.Collins (GK), Bennet, L.Collins (C), Grubb, Doidge, Gunning, Rawson, Reid, Bray, Hollis, Osbourne.

Subs: Belford (GK), Laird, Brown, Simpson, Wishart, Clements, Campbell.

Advertisement block