Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Colchester United 2-1 Coventry City - Mikael Mandron's late goal sinks City

City fall to third consecutive defeat...

13 February 2018

The Sky Blues have been beaten 2-1 by Colchester United after Mikael Mandron's heartbreaking last-gasp winner sealed the win for the home side.

A third consecutive loss leaves Coventry in 9th place, level on points with their hosts, and three points off the play-off places.

In a back-and-forth opening, there were flashes of quality from the Sky Blues — particularly through Bayliss’ and McNulty’s link-up play — as Chris Stokes’ driving shot struck the side-netting early on.

Mid-way through the first-half, though, and Coventry found themselves behind, courtesy of an Ogedi-Uzokwe penalty. Rod McDonald was adjudged to have held the Colchester striker in the area, who duly converted from the spot for his first goal of the season.

After taking the lead, the hosts enjoyed a sustained period of possession, as Mark Robins’ side struggled to gain control of the game, with Colchester firing several low crosses across Lee Burge’s goal.

Yet, City did threaten on the counter-attack. Bayliss having an effort blocked at the last-minute on the half-hour mark, and Stokes again missing the target from the left, on the stroke of half-time.

After the break, Bayliss set the tone early on, with a trademark winding run, drawing a foul just outside the area. A sign of things to come, as on 56 minutes, the 18-year-old drew the Sky Blues level.

Stokes’ pass found Shipley, who cut inside and forced Colchester goalkeeper Sam Walker into a fine save. But with the danger not cleared, the ball rolled out to Bayliss on the edge of the area, who slotted home emphatically, to launch the travelling support into full voice.

With the side carrying momentum, Marc McNulty almost took full advantage ten minutes later, his angled shot striking the outside of Walker’s right-hand post.

Replacing Biamou early in the second-half, Johnson Clarke-Harris made his presence felt with twenty minutes remaining. An injection of pace up front, the 23-year-old beat his full-back to win a corner, from which his deft flick toward goal forced Walker into an impressive save.

This chance seemed to send a surge of confidence through the team, with both Clarke-Harris and McNulty having attempts saved, as the game headed toward the final ten minutes.

With City largely dictating the tempo, the ball became embanked in Colchester’s half, as the away side looked to turn one point into three.

However, the Sky Blues had their hopes dashed in the 89th minute, as Mikael Mandron headed the decisive goal for Colchester from the right-hand side, against the run of play.

Coventry tried to salvage a point in added time, but to no avail.


Colchester United 2 – 1 Coventry City

Goals: Ogedi-Uzokwe 27’, Bayliss 56’ & Mandron 89’



Attendance: 3,319

Colchester United XI: Walker (GK), Vincent-Young (Dickenson 77’), Eastman, Prosser, Kent, Eastman, Senior (Szmodics 70’), Comley, Wright, Stevenson (Murray 82’), Ogedi-Uzokwe, Mandron.

Subs: Gilmartin (GK), Lapslie, Szmodics, Dickenson, Murray, Mandeville, Inniss.

Coventry City XI: Burge (GK), Willis, McDonald, Hyam, Stokes, Vincenti, Bayliss, Kelly (Reid 90’), Shipley, McNulty, Biamou (Clarke-Harris 62’).

Subs: O’Brien (GK), Clarke-Harris, Kelly-Evans, Haynes, Barrett, Reid, Ponticelli.


Advertisement block