Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues 1-2 Luton Town

Sky Blues fall to defeat against the Hatters...

15 December 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues 1-2 Luton Town

Sky Blues fall to defeat against the Hatters...

15 December 2018

It was a disappointing afternoon for the Sky Blues, as goals from Matty Pearson and James Collins secured victory for the away side.

The Sky Blues were awarded a penalty in injury time which was converted by Jonson Clarke-Harris, but it wasn’t enough as City fell to defeat.

After a scrappy start to the game, the first chance fell to the visitors. Elliot Lee picked up the ball on the edge of the box and his lofted through ball found Harry Cornick. However, his volley sailed harmlessly over Lee Burge’s goal.

Cornick then had a superb chance to put Luton ahead. A long ball was misjudged by Jordan Willis and allowed the forward to go one on one with Burge, but he dragged his shot wide when he should have done better.

Somehow James Shea prevented City from taking the lead in the 17th minute. Luke Thomas’ cross was met acrobatically by Jordy Hiwula at the back post, but the Luton goalkeeper fantastically clawed his effort off the line. Despite the protests from the Sky Blues players, the officials were adamant that all of the ball hadn't crossed the line.

The Hatters took the lead in the 38th minute. A corner was headed back across the face of goal and the defender was on hand to stab home from close range. That was the last action of the first half as the Sky Blues trailed at the break.

Glen Rea had the first chance after the restart, but he blazed his shot over from the edge of the area.

Town goalkeeper James Shea then produced another fantastic save from point blank range to keep the visitors in front. Jordan Shipley’s cross found Jonson Clarke-Harris in the area, but his header was straight at the goalkeeper.

Luton doubled their advantage in the 56th minute. Elliot Lee drove in to the box and his low cross found James Collins unmarked in the area to tap in to an empty net via the underside of the crossbar.

Clarke-Harris then had another chance to score after great work from Luke Thomas. The derby loanee beat two Luton defenders on the wing and his low cross found Clarke-Harris. However, the striker couldn’t control it properly and the opportunity was wasted.

Luton continued to apply the pressure as the second half continued. Glen Rea was picked out on the edge of the area from a corner, but his volley was headed off the line by Clarke-Harris.

Liam Kelly tried his luck from range as he looked to start a comeback. However, his shot flew over Shea’s crossbar.

Substitute Dom Hyam was next to test Shea as the game drew to a close. Allassani’s cross was headed by the defender, but it was a fairly comfortable save for the goalkeeper.

Luke Thomas was brought down in the area by Shea in added time and Jonson Clarke-Harris stepped up to smash it in to the bottom corner.

However, that was as good as it got for the Sky Blues. Mark Robins’ men travel to Shrewsbury next Saturday.



Sky Blues XI: Lee Burge (GK), Junior Brown, Tom Davies, Jordan Willis (Hyam, 65), Jack Grimmer, Liam Kelly, Jordan Shipley, Tom Bayliss (Allassani, 77), Luke Thomas, Jordy Hiwula (Chaplin, 65) Jonson Clarke-Harris

Unused Subs: Corey Addai (GK), Brandon Mason, Michael Doyle, Abu Ogogo

Luton XI: Shea, Stacey, Pearson, Bradley, Justin, Rea (c), Mpanzu, Shinnie (Potts 88), Lee, Collins, Cornick (Hylton 72)

Unused Subs: Berry, Grant, LuaLua, Sheehan, Stech (GK)

Attendance: 12,559 (2,598 Away)

Bookings – Luton, Shinnie (85) Sky Blues, Davies (88)



Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account