Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues U23 6-3 Crystal Palace U23

14 December 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues U23 6-3 Crystal Palace U23

14 December 2018

It was an eventful game at the Alan Higgs Centre as Jason Farndon’s Under 23s secured a 6-3 victory against Crystal Palace.

It was the perfect start for the Sky Blues as they took the lead inside the first 90 seconds. 

Good play down the left from Dexter Walters and a ball across the box is met first time by Jack Burroughs who buried the ball into the bottom corner.

It got even better for Jason Farndon’s side three minutes later, as Walters was brought down in the box and the referee pointed to the spot.

Midfielder Zain Westbrooke stepped up to take the penalty and he sent the ‘keeper the wrong way and found the back of the net.

And just over five minutes later the midfielder had his second of the game.

Westbrooke won the ball back in midfield and charged forward and unleashed a fierce effort into the top corner to leave Oliver Webber helpless and make it 3-0.

However, Palace got one back against the run of play when Nya Kirby struck a low drilled shot into the bottom corner from outside the box.

Kirby had the next opportunity for the visitors when he stood over a free-kick around 20 yards out, but his effort was curled over the bar.

At the other end, Jordon Thompson headed over from inside the box after he was on the end of a Jonny Ngandu cross.

However, City did get their fourth minutes later when Walters got on the scoresheet.

A superb header from Sam McCallum was flicked into the path of Dexter and he twists and turns and gets a shot away which deflects off Sam Woods and past Webber.

Palace had a chance to respond ten minutes before half time when Jonathan Williams’ shot inside the box was well saved by the Trialist in the City goal.

David Bremang almost found himself on the score sheet when he held the ball up outside the box, turned his man and fired a shot goalwards, but Webber saves.

There was time for one final chance before the half time whistle. Jonny Ngandu played a one-two with Westbrooke and then dropped his shoulder and looked for the top corner, but Webber saved.

After the restart and it was a goal off the first attack of the game for Palace.

A corner was cleared by the Sky Blues, but it fell back to Kian Flanagan, who’s ball across goal was met by the head of half-time substitute Jospeh Hungbo who made it 4-2.

Palace continued to apply pressure and it was Giovanni McGregor who curled an effort inches past the post.

Moments later, Trialist was called into action as he was quick off his line to deny Francis Jno-Baptiste inside the box.

59 minutes in and Levi Lumeka was brought down inside the area by Trialist and the referee pointed to the spot.

However, Trialist atoned for the foul and guessed the right way to deny Nya Kirby getting his second.

City looked to restore their three goal advantage And came close when Billy Stedman header over the bar from a Jak Hickman cross down the right hand side.

Minutes later the Sky Blues did restore their three goal lead and it was Jak Hickman who drilled a low shot into the bottom corner after being teed up by Bremang.

The Sky Blues almost added a sixth when captain Morgan Williams was on the end of a corner, but Webber saved comfortably.

Palace found a third after 79 minutes when Flanagan’s cutback inside the box found Levi Lumeka and he fires past Trialist for 5-3.

However, with just over five minutes remaining, the Sky Blues made it six when David Bremang converted from the spot after he was brought down in the box.

Palace pressured late on but were unable to get anything more from the game as the Sky Blues secured a 6-3 win.


Sky Blues Xl: Trialist, Hickman, Thompson, Williams, McCallum, Westbrooke, Eccles, Ngandu, Burroughs, Walters Bremang.

Subs: Green, Camwell, Bosma Stedman.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account