Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Shrewsbury Town 1-0 Sky Blues

Sky Blues fall to defeat the New Meadow...

22 December 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Shrewsbury Town 1-0 Sky Blues

Sky Blues fall to defeat the New Meadow...

22 December 2018

The Sky Blues travelled to the New Meadow looking to turn their form around following their defeat last time out against Luton Town.

The home side started the game the brighter team attacking the Sky Blue box at every opportunity during the opening encounters. The Shrews earned themselves a number of corners, and found themselves in promising positions but were unable to capitalise.

With ten minutes on the clock, City very nearly found themselves in the lead. A tame back pass from Luke Waterfall gave the lurking Jonson Clarke-Harris a sniff, but goalkeeper Arnold reached the loose ball just before the City striker and hacked the ball away from danger.

Immediately after, the Shrews had an even better chance to take the lead as a floated ball in by Fejiri Okenabirhie made it all the way to the back post and was met by Aaron Holloway. The striker’s header somehow fell wide of the goal despite half of the New Meadow erupting in celebrations.

The home side were in the ascendancy with the Sky Blue defence throwing their bodies on the line every time they were attacked, and Anthony Grant was unlucky not have fired the hosts in front.

His 25-yard half volley was destined to nestle into the bottom right corner of Burge’s goal but for Ogogo’s heroic block, as he managed to get his body in the way of the ball. 

Conor Chaplin had a half chance for the Sky Blues as Liam Kelly’s floated set-piece delivery was headed back across goal. Chaplin’s angle was cute, and he could only manage to fire his effort into the side netting. 

The home side were getting closer, and this time they were only inches away from taking the lead. Greg Docherty’s corner kick was met by Waterfall and thankfully Liam Kelly was on hand to head the ball away from danger from underneath the crossbar.

Without too many clear-cut chances being created, it was no shock that when the half-time whistle came, the two teams went into the break on level terms.


HALF-TIME: Shrewsbury Town 0 – 0 Sky Blues


With only two minutes of the second half played, the Sky Blues had carved out their best of the chance of the afternoon so far. Luke Thomas’ perseverance allowed him to knick the ball from the Shrews defender, and get a shot off. Arnold in the Shrews net was equal to the winger’s effort as he got low and cleared the ball from danger.

Only one minute later, the Sky Blues found themselves behind. Aaron Holloway rose highest in the Sky Blue box as he headed Anthony Grant’s pin-point delivery past Lee Burge.

The Sky Blues were looking for a response, and Thomas’ persistence again forced the home side into a mistake. Thomas pounced on the loose ball and fed Chaplin on the edge of the box who released a right-footed shot. His shot was heading goalwards until a deflection from Grant took it out for a corner. The resulting corner amounted to nothing. 

With 25 minutes left to play, City had the ball in the back of the net only for it to be ruled out by referee Trevor Kettle for offside.

Thomas provided the low ball back across the box from the by-line and Chaplin slid in to steer it goalwards. Arnold got down to it but pushed the ball into Clarke-Harris’ path, who by his reaction, knew he was offside before stroking the ball into the back of the net.

The Sky Blues were still searching for a way back into the game as the clock approached the final 10 minutes. Kelly was forceful in the challenge on the edge of the Shrews’ box and as the ball flicked up, unleashed a fierce left-footed volley that flew only inches over Arnold’s goal. 

With the game coming to a close, City were upping the tempo as they were still looking for the equaliser. Jordy Hiwula took the ball to the by-line on the left wing and pull it back to the edge of the box.

Thomas met the ball and could have shot first time, instead he decided to take a touch, which allowed the defender to get a foot and clear the danger.

For all of the Sky Blues’ intent in the final stages of the second half, they did not seriously threaten the Shrews defence at the New Meadow all afternoon, as the home side run away with the three points.


FULL-TIME: Shrewsbury Town 1 - 0 Sky Blues 


Sky Blues XI: Lee Burge (GK), Dujon Sterling, Jordan Willis, Dom Hyam, Junior Brown (90+2), Abu Ogogo (57), Liam Kelly ©, Tom Bayliss, Luke Thomas (89), Conor Chaplin, Jonson Clarke-Harris 

Subs: Corey Addai (GK), Jack Grimmer, Jordon Thompson, Zain Westbrooke, Jordan Shipley (90+2), Jordy Hiwula (57), Reise Allassani (89)


Shrewsbury Town XI: Steve Arnold (GK), Ryan Haynes (74), Mat Sadler ©, Greg Docherty, Fejiri Okenabirhie (88), James Bolton, Aaron Holloway (80), Luke Waterfall, Josh Laurent, Ollie Norburn, Anthony Grant

 Subs: Joel Coleman (GK), Josh Emmanuel (74), Lee Angol, Lenell John-Lewis (80), Alex Gilliead, Charlie Colkett, Ryan Sears (88)


Yellow Cards: Grant ’63, Laurent ’83, Norburn ’84, Clarke-Harris ‘85

Goals: Holloway ‘49

Attendance: 8,083 (1,649 Sky Blues)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account