Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


We look back at some of the memorable games...

31 December 2018

 09 November 2016- Checkatrade Trophy: 4-2

The Sky Blues faced Wycombe in group D of the Checkatrade Trophy 2016 at Adams Park. Wycombe would take the lead in the game when Stephen McGinn would put it past Reice Charles-Cook on the 32nd minute, giving Wycombe a 1-0 lead at the break.

The Wanderers would look to take complete control of the game when Scott Kashket would double the lead eight minutes into the seconds half. The two-goal lead would be quickly cut in half though, when four minutes later Ryan Haynes would find the back of the net. The Sky Blues defender brought the two teams’ level three minutes when Haynes found his second of the game.

Ten minutes after going two goals behind Coventry would completely flip the game on its head when George Thomas would give the Sky Blues the lead on the 63rd minute. After an incredible six minutes for Coventry, the game finally settled down again, until the 86th minute when the Sky Blues wrapped up the in with a fourth goal of the game thanks to Gael Bigirimana.

07 February 2017- Checkatrade Trophy Semi-Final: 2-1

The next meeting between the two clubs would come in the semi-finals of the competition at the Ricoh Arena.

Coventry would get off to a very quick start to the game when on the 11th minute Stuart Beavon would score the first goal of the game. The Sky Blues would look in prime position to reach the final when George Thomas put the second past Jamal Blackman eight minutes later and doubling Coventry’s lead.

The score would stay 2-0 until half time, Wycombe would introduce Adebayo Akinfenwa in the second half, who would be the player to bring Wycombe back into the game, scoring on the 55th minute and giving a very tense 35 minutes fore the home support. Coventry would manage to hang on to the lead and make the final at Wembley. This would lead to the Sky Blues beating Oxford 2-1 in the final and winning their first piece of silverware since the 1987 FA Cup win.

22 December 2017- League Two: 3-2

The first ever league fixture between the two clubs came in December 2017 at the Ricoh Arena. Coventry took the early lead again in the fixture when Michael Doyle found the net from 40 yards out.

The score would be doubled just before half time when inform Coventry striker Marc McNulty would score on the 41st minute. However, the Sky Blues would only go into the break with a one goal lead when Wycombe defender Dan Scarr scored in added time of the first half.

The comeback would be made complete four minutes into the second half when Wycombe were awarded a penalty which was converted by Joe Jacobson. The scores would only stay level for six minutes, when the second penalty of the game was awarded to Coventry on the 55th minute. Leading to McNulty scoring his second of the game from the spot and restoring Coventry’s lead.

Advertisement block