Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues U23s 4-2 Burnley U23s

Jodi Jones makes his return to action...

20 August 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues U23s 4-2 Burnley U23s

Jodi Jones makes his return to action...

20 August 2018

The Sky Blues Under-23s came from behind to secure their first win of the season in the Professional Development League at the Ricoh Arena against Burnley.

City fell two goals behind in the first half after Nahki Wells and Christian N’Guessan scored for the visitors, but goals from Reece Ford, Jonson Clarke-Harris and a brace from Reise Allassani secured a 4-2 victory.

It wasn’t the best of starts for the Sky Blues, as they went a goal down within the first minute of the game, when Nahki Wells slotted past Corey Addai.

The ‘keeper was called into action a few minutes later as midfielder Christian N’Guesssan tried his luck from outside the box, but his shot was well saved.

Burnley’s new summer signing, Matej Vydra made his start for the Clarets and he had a sniff at goal after 10 minutes, but his shot went over the bar.

City’s first chance on goal came after a ball switched from right to left by Jodi Jones was picked up y Sam McCallum and he drilled a shot at goal and watched on as it went inches wide.

Burnley doubled their lead after the half hour mark, as Christian N’Guessan found the bottom corner from inside the box, coming against the run of play after Jason Farndon’s side were growing into the game.

Five minutes before the half-time whistle and Addai was called into action, this time making a good save to deny Daniel Agyei.

After the break, it was the perfect start to the second 45 minutes for City, as they were level within eight minutes.

First, a corner from Reise Allassani was met by the head of Reece Ford and went past Adam Legzdins to make it 2-1.

A couple of minutes later and it was another Allassani cross, but this time it was Jonson Clarke-Harris on the end of the it and he beat the Burnley ‘keeper to make it 2-2.

The Sky Blues continued to apply the pressure, looking to complete the turn around and it was Chris Camwell with the next chance, as his shot from distance was well saved for a corner.

From the resulting corner, Clarke-Harris rose highest, but he couldn’t direct his header on target.

However, just moments later, a mistake at the back from the Burnley back four enabled Clarke-Harris to get free, forcing Legzdins into another great save.

70 minutes in and it was Burnley’s first shot of the second-half and it came from a free-kick just outside the area by Wells. He stepped-up and saw his effort bounce back off the post.

Next up, it was Jak Hickman who tried to the find the back of the net, a ball switched wide to the fullback fell nicely and he took a touch and fired an effort at goal, but his shot was deflected inches over the bar.

In the 83rd minute the turn around was complete as Allassani latched onto a loose ball and finally got his goal and put City in the lead.

There was time for the winger to match assist tally for the day, as he grabbed his second goal of the game after some fine work down the right from Hickman enabled the winger to slot it past Legzdisns for 4-2.


Sky Blues Xl: Corey Addai (GK), Morgan Williams, Reece Ford, Chris Camwell, Sam McCallum (83’ Green), Jak Hickman, Josh Eccles, Zain Westbrooke, Jodi Jones (C) (45’ Stedman), Reise Allassani (90' Ngandu), Jonson Clarke-Harris.

Subs: Tom Bilson (GK), Billy Stedman, Johnny Ngandu, Dexter Walters, Luke Green.


Burnley Xl: Adam Legzdins (GK), Jordan Cropper, Ali Koiki, Christian N’Guessan, Teddy Perkins, James Clarke, Dwight McNeil ©, Mace Goodridge, Nahki Wells, Matej Vydra, Daniel Agyei (65’ Bayode).

Subs: George McMahon (GK), Anthony Glennon, Ed Cook, Tunda Bayode, Tinashe Chakwana.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account