Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Sky Blues U23 2-1 Watford U23

Goals from Jack Burroughs and Kyle Finn secure all three points for the U23s...

20 November 2017

Sky Blues Under-23s came from behind in the Professional Development League South against Watford Under-23s to come away with all three points.

Goals from Kyle Finn and Jack Burroughs in the second half, were enough for the U23s to bounce back from going a goal behind in the first half.

The win means that City move to level on points with table toppers Queens Park Rangers, with just goals scored separating the two sides.

The first chance of the game fell to Bilal Sayoud on his return to action, following a great ball out from Ben Stevenson to Jak Hickman and Hickman put in a cross to Bilal, but he couldn’t direct his effort on target.

Watford had their first effort of the game after ten minutes, Dja DjeDje put a ball into the box and it was met by Max Ryan, who headed over the bar.

It was Sayoud who was involved again minutes later, he was on the end of a corner into the box, but his volley hit the post and went behind.

However, after 16 minutes, former Sky Blue loanee Michael Folivi opened the scoring, when he beat his man in the area and fired past Naylor to put the Hornets 1-0 up.

The Sky Blues looked to grab the equaliser before half-time, chances from Chris Camwell from range and Sayoud on the half-turn, just wasn’t enough to get a shot on target and test the ‘keeper during the first 45 minutes.

After the game resumed, Reece Ford had the first chance for the Sky Blues after he was on the end of a header which went inches wide of the post.

But, City were to be rewarded just five minutes later, when Kyle Finn drew the game level on 51 minutes. Stevenson played in Hickman, who done terrific down the right, he put a cross in and it was met by the head of Finn, who found the bottom corner.

Camwell almost made it 2-1 after a free-kick was won on the edge of the box, Chris teed it up and looked for the corner, but the ‘keeper saved.

It was visitors turn to have a go at goal on 65 minutes, Dion Perreira picked the ball up in the box and he released a strike which was stopped superbly by Naylor.

Then, just under 10 minutes later, City finally got the breakthrough and were put 2-1 up thank to a goal for Academy midfielder, Jack Burroughs. Stevenson played the ball through to Jack and he made no mistake in slotting it home.

City almost had a third late on when Academy striker, Morgan Crowther brought the ball down well and tried to get a shot away, but it was well blocked by the Hornets ‘keeper and the game ended 2-1.


Starting XI: Naylor (GK), Ford, Leahy, Dion Kelly-Evans, Hickman, Stevenson, Bayliss, Camwell, Burroughs, Finn, Sayoud

Subs: Green, White, Doyle, Crowther

Watford XI: Gartside (GK), Eleftheriou, Mason, Stevens, Ryan, Mukena, Stewart, Dja DjeDje, Folivi, Perreira, Williams

Subs: Huja, Rogers, Sesay, Charles, Bradbury

Advertisement block