Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Shrewsbury Town 0-0 Coventry City - City can't find a way past the Shrews

4 March 2017

A goalless draw played out Greenhous Meadow, despite City dominating for much of the 90...

After a clash of heads with team-mate Nathan Clarke, midfielder Andy Rose was forced off the pitch in the first two minutes, meaning a lengthy stoppage as the Sky Blues went in search of three points at Greenhous Meadow.

The home side started the stronger, as the City team had to recover quickly from the loss of Rose to a bad head injury. 19-year old Ben Stevenson was introduced in place of the midfielder, who unfortunately left the stadium in an ambulance.

Tyler Roberts was the liveliest Shrews player in the opening stages, marshalled well by the central defensive pairing of Clarke and Jordan Turnbull.

And is was the ex-Saints defender who was the first to test opposition ‘keeper Jayson Leutwiler, with a strike on the volley from 18-yards. The ball dropped fortuitously on the edge of the Shrews’ technical area, and Turnbull struck an effort with real venom, producing a wonderful save from Leutwiler. 

The Sky Blues were let off in the 40th minute, as a Ryan Haynes misplaced pass was pounced upon by Stephen Humphreys. The Shrews no.9 dragged his effort wide of the far post, before Stuart Beavon tested Leutwiler once more.

City’s frontman hit a speculative shot on the turn, which looked destined for the bottom corner, before Leutwiler intervened and pushed to safety. 

Further chances were squandered by Reilly, and Kwame Thomas, after the latter was well found by Dion Kelly-Evans. Thomas could only direct his header in to the gloves of Leutwiler, who was by far the busier of the two goalkeepers in the first-half. 

The final chance of the first 45 fell to George Thomas, who used the decoy run of Stevenson to fashion a yard of space. Hit with his unfavoured left boot, the striker couldn’t find the target, but City’s pressure was certainly mounting. 

There was nearly a sting in the tail for the away side, as the game came to the end of the 19 additional first-half minutes. Turnbull was penalised for a handball in the box, and up stepped Tyler Roberts to attempt to convert the resulting penalty.

Lee Burge, who had been relatively untested until then, guessed the right way and produced a superb shot to deny Roberts from the spot. 

The second period started much in the same way that the first ended, with City on top and testing the Shrews defensive capabilities.

Beavon, K.Thomas and Stevenson all had efforts blocked, after a melee in the Shrews penalty area. G.Thomas had another go moments later, cutting inside before unleashing a shot, which sailed over Leutwiler’s upright.

The home side began working their way in to the tie after the half hour mark, having withstood a huge amount of pressure from the visitors. Freddie Ladapo was introduced midway through the half, and won a free-kick 20-yards out in the 64th minute.

Roberts took the free-kick, which deflected for a corner, and Louie Dodds managed to head over from close range, where perhaps he should have made Burge work. 

Jodi Jones was introduced in to the action in the 72nd minute, with G.Thomas swapping to the left flank. City continued to press, but to little avail, as it looked like another goalless draw was set to be played out between the two sides. 

Beavon tested the goalkeeper once more in the dying embers, but Leutwiler was again equal to it, parrying to safety, and the rebound couldn’t be sent back goalward by Turnbull. 

Yellow: Rodman, Yates, Di. Kelly-Evans, Deegan. 

Attendance: 6,305 (651) 


Coventry City: Burge (GK), Di. Kelly-Evans, Clarke (C), Turnbull, Haynes, Rose (Stevenson 2'), Foley, Reilly, K.Thomas (Jones 75'), Beavon, G.Thomas.

Subs: Charles-Cook (GK), Rawson, Bigirimana Reid, Vernam. 

Shrewsbury Town: Leutwiler (GK), Sadler (C), Whalley (Rodman 45'+), Humphreys (Ladapo 59'), Dodds (Riley 81'), Brown, Grimmer, Yates, Deegan, Nsiala, Roberts.

Subs: Halstead (GK), Morris, Leitch-Smith, El-Abd.

Advertisement block