Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Coventry City 2-2 Bolton Wanderers - The Sky Blues denied three points in injury time

2 January 2017

Marcus Tudgay and Stuart Beavon on target as the Sky Blues come away with a point against Bolton...

Stuart Beavon played a pivotal role in his debut Sky Blues appearance, with a hand in the first goal and a fine finish for City's second of the afternoon. 

Zach Clough netted his seventh goal of the season for the visitors, before Max Clayton levelled as Wanderers snatched a point at the death.

The team lined up in a 4-4-2 formation as Nathan Clarke, Callum Reilly and Stuart Beavon all made their debuts after completing moves on day one of the January transfer window.

The opening stages of the game were a tight affair with neither side able to fashion a real goal-scoring opportunity. Wanderers skipper Jay Spearing was put through on goal in the 15th minute, but before he could test Lee Burge, the linesman flagged for offside.

This would be the only real chance of the game until the 31st minute when City came close. George Thomas whipped in a corner from the left and Jordan Turnbull rose highest at the near post, but his header flew over the bar.

The match seemed to gain in intensity after that and the Sky Blues broke the deadlock in the 37th minute. New striker Beavon got past his man down the right-flank and whipped in a ball to the far post, where Kyel Reid nodded back across goal for stand-in skipper Tudgay to head in.

Russell Slade’s men had the momentum on their side now as they went close again in the 40th minute. Reid delivered a corner form the right which Andy Rose was quickest to react to, but his diving header on goal was wide of the bottom right corner. 

That was to be the last major action of the half as the Sky Blues went in at half-time in the lead.

The fast tempo from the later stages of the first half carried over into the opening minutes of the second but neither side created a major opening until the 63rd minute. A free-kick was floated into the box and was headed down to Rose but the midfielder’s volley sailed over the bar.

However, just as it look liked City were edging closer to getting their second goal, Bolton were awarded a penalty. Ryan Haynes was adjudged to have pulled down Gary Madine in the box. 

Substitute Zach Clough stepped up and placed the resulting spot-kick into the bottom right-corner to get Bolton back on level terms.

The Ricoh was rocking again five minutes later as Beavon turned from provider to scorer. Haynes made his way down the left-flank and into the area before pulling it back superbly for Beavon who took a touch to pace himself, before firing into the bottom right corner. 

For a brief moment the Sky Blues had thought they had a third as Thomas finished off a good move on the counter, but the linesman flagged for offside.

Thomas collected an up field ball, holding off the defender before playing it into Tudgay who was making a run to his right. Tudgay collected the pass and played it back in to Thomas who had continued his run into the box. The forward shot at goal bobbled in off the ‘keeper but flag had been raised.

Four minutes of added time ensued and City would be dealt a late blow, as Bolton nicked an equaliser courtesy of substitute Max Clayton. 

The Wanderers No.19 got the ball in the box and rode a challenge before eventually firing to the right of Burge. 

Attendance: 10,339  


Yellow: Haynes  


Coventry City: Burge (GK), Sterry, Clarke, Turnbull, Haynes, Thomas, Reilly, Rose, Reid, Beavon (Lameiras '76), Tudgay (C). 

Subs: Charles-Cook (GK), Di. Kelly-Evans, Bigirimana, Stevenson, Gadzhev, Jones. 

Bolton Wanderers: Alnwick (GK), Beevers, Vela, Spearing (C), Madine, Osede (Proctor 81'), Trotter (Clough '59), Taylor, Ameobi, Henry (Clayton '59), Wheater.


Subs: Turner (GK), Moxey, Taylor, Thorpe.

Advertisement block