Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Coventry City 1-3 Swindon Town - Sky Blues lose out at home to the Robins

25 February 2017

Swindon boost survival hopes, with fan favourite Nicky Ajose back on the scoresheet...

Swindon Town frontman Ajose scored his first two goal since re-joining the club in January, consolidated by a header from Jonathan Obika, to leave the Sky Blues empty handed.

Buoyed by last week’s victory over Gillingham, the Sky Blues were quicker out the blocks, and had fashioned two good openings inside the first ten minutes.

Lawrence Vigouruox had to be alert on both occasions, with midfielder Andy Rose on the end of an effort from distance, and a closer range drive.

James Brophy was the first Swindon player to call Lee Burge in to action, as he used his pace to skip past two challenges, and hit a shot low to Burge’s right. The City stopper was equal to it, palming away for a corner with his right glove. 

20 minutes had elapsed before a rather open game gifted Kwame Thomas a sight of goal, with the 21-year old having netted two in his last three. George Thomas did well in the middle of the park to retain possession, before Marcus Tudgay found K.Thomas on the six yard line. The frontman hit a shot on the turn, But Vigouroux smothered the danger.

Ajose, re-signed from Charlton Athletic in January, tried to work Burge from a free-kick 20 yards out, before the deadlock was broken on the half-hour mark. 

QPR loanee Ben Gladwin cut inside and spotted the run of Ajose, who had snuck in behind the City backline. The cross fell to the feet of the striker, unmarked five yards from goal, and he applied the finish on the volley to give the away side the lead.

And Ajose was slipped through again moments later, after being found by a clever Charlie Colkett pass. Jordan Turnbull had tracked the run of the striker, and recovered well to intercept, but there was further danger from the resulting corner.

Chelsea loan man Colkett delivered in to the area, and Jonathan Obika found the back of the net with a header. 

The half-time introduction of Stuart Beavon sparked the home side in to life, as the unlikely figure of Nathan Clarke appeared in the Swindon box. He connected with a Callum Reilly delivery, sending his effort inches wide of the far post. 

Ajose was once again among the action early in the second period, beating Clarke in a footrace and rounding Burge before blasting his effort wide of an empty net.  

Further chances fell to Tudgay and Reilly, taking up good positions in the attacking third, but neither could hit the target. 

City were further punished by Ajose, as he latched on to a Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill mis-hit. The fullback hit a shot-come-across low across the six yard line, and Ajose - arriving late - was there to tap home. 

George Thomas, industrious as ever, scored a consolation for the Sky Blues late on, firing home from 20-yards. 

Yellow: Foley, Colkett, Barry, C. Thomas.

Attendance: 9,543 (853)


Coventry City: Burge (GK), Di. Kelly-Evans, Clarke (C), Turnbull, Haynes, G.Thomas, Foley, Rose (Beavon 45'), Reilly, K.Thomas (Reid 87'), Tudgay (Yakubu 69').

Subs: Charles-Cook (GK), Rawson, Jones, Vernam. 

Swindon Town: Vigouroux (GK), Thompson (C), Ormonde-Ottewill, Gladwin, Obika, Brophy (Goddard 76'), Ajose, Colkett, Ince, Barry (Thomas 80'), Jones (Conroy 72').

Subs: Henry (GK), Rodgers, Stewart, Norris.

Advertisement block