Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Scunthorpe United 3-1 Coventry City - Sky Blues sign off with defeat at Glanford Park

30 April 2017

The Iron overturn a first-half deficit to emerge victors, as City officially bow out of League One...

The Sky Blues rode their luck at times in the opening quarter, but some resolute defending and smart stops from Lee Burge denied both Sam Mantom and Paddy Madden.

Jodi Jones looked to be City’s biggest threat down the left, with teenage debutant Chris Camwell for support, who looked comfortable on his first call-up to the senior side. 

Burge was again called in to action in the 35th minute, denying Madden from close range after some clever build up play from Duane Holmes.

City’s patience was rewarded in the 36th minute, as a rare attack put the away side in front against the run of play. 

Jones used to pace to burst away from Neal Bishop in the left channel, and whipped an inviting cross in to the area. The ball was seized upon by Vladimir Gadzhev, whose shot wrong-footed Joe Anyon and found the bottom corner.

The Bulgarian, who had only previously netted in the EFL Cup, scored his first League One goal to give City a narrow advantage entering the break. 

Dion Kelly-Evans and Ruben Lameiras further tested Anyon, without any real purchase, before Marcus Tudgay looked to have been pushed in the area - but what appeared to be legitimate appeals were waved away by referee Richard Clark. 

Jordan Clarke tested Burge early in the second period, with an angled shot from the right, but the City stopper was equal to it. 

Josh Morris took a tumble in the 50th minute, under pressure from Jordan Turnbull, which was duly waved away, before a special moment from Kevin van Even provided the equaliser.

The frontman picked up the ball 20-yards out, and curled an effort in to the far corner to restore parity.

George Thomas fired a shot narrowly over on the hour mark, before a period of relative inactivity, as neither side could muster any meaningful threat in the final third.

Thomas, enjoying a livelier second-half, forced a superb fingertip save from Anyon in the 72nd minute as he attempted to restore City’s lead. The Iron stopper produced one of the saves of the season to push the ball on to the crossbar, as the Welshman’s effort went agonisingly close.

The home side left it late, but found an 85th minute winner courtesy of Bishop, who emphatically found the net with a right-footed shot, before Hakeeb Adelakun completed the scoring in injury time.

Yellow: Camwell.


Coventry City: Burge (GK), Di. Kelly-Evans, Willis (C), Turnbull, Camwell, Bigirimana, Gadzhev, Lameiras, Jones (K.Thomas 64'), G.Thomas (Folivi 87'), Tudgay.

Subs: Charles-Cook (GK), Thompson, Shipley, Dev. Kelly-Evans, Reid.

Scunthorpe United: Anyon (GK), Wallace (C), Mirfin, Madden, Van Veen (Davies 77'), Morris (Adelakum 77'), Bishop, Mantom, Holmes, Townsend, Clarke (Sutton 82').

Subs: Watson (GK), Dawson, Toffolo, Toney.

Advertisement block