Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Coventry City U23 2-0 Huddersfield Town U23 - Thomas scores two as the Sky Blues defeat the Terriers at the Ricoh

19 September 2016

A brace from George Thomas gives Nicky Eaden's side all three points at the Ricoh against top of the table Huddersfield...

The Sky Blues produced an assured display to comfortably defeat Huddersfield Town and make it two wins on the bounce in the U23 Development League. 

George Thomas followed up his goal against Sheffield United last week by netting two more today, with equally impressive performances from Cian Harries and Devon Kelly-Evans. Huddersfield were on a three match winning streak, and are the current league leaders, but the Sky Blues eased passed their Yorkshire opponents - producing their first stadium win of the season.

Just a few minutes into the game City had their first half-chance. Devon Kelly-Evans slipped a ball into the feet of George Thomas and the striker dribbled past two Huddersfield defenders before laying it off to Trialist. On the turn his deflected effort was tipped over by goalkeeper Luke Coddington.

The home side were controlling possession well, without producing too much by the way of clear cut chances. Jack Boyle showed pace and power to burst through the City midfield, but just as it looked like he would have a sight of goal Cian Harries stepped up to block his goalbound effort. 

The visitors came close to opening the scoring shortly after. A good passage of play from Huddersfield gave Boyle space to turn and run at the City defence, he slipped it through to Rekiel Pyke and the striker turned his man but scuffed his effort past the post.

The front three of City then combined to fashion one of the better chances of the first-half. Trialist chested it down for Thomas to release Kelly-Evans, and the captain used his pace to get behind the Huddersfield defence, but opted to try and find a teammate instead of shoot and his cross deflected to safety.  

It didn’t take long for the home side to take the lead at the beginning of the second-half. Cian Harries started the move with a superb cross-field pass to Jacob Whitmore. The wingback drove to the byline and cut the ball back to Thomas, who via a slight deflection, found the bottom corner to put City ahead. 

Soon after the Sky Blues doubled their lead. Callum Maycock nicked the ball from the Terriers defence and fed the Welshman up top. Thomas pulled the ball back to an oncoming Bilal Siyoud, and despite his effort striking the post; Thomas was on hand to tap it in for his second of the game. 

Huddersfield tried to respond as a good sliding tackle dispossessed the City defence and set Luca Colville on his way. The midfielder cut inside and hit a low effort at goal, but goalkeeper Lee Burge was on hand to deny the Terriers a route back into the game. 

City nearly wrapped up the game as substitute Jack McBean ran clear, but his attempt to square the ball to Thomas for his hat-trick was denied by good Huddersfield defending. 

It was becoming a very one-sided affair as the second 45 drew to a close, with McBean, Thomas and substitute Kyle Spence nearly extending the lead. A confident display, the Sky Blues were good value for their win and claim their second three points in the space of a week.

Yellow: O'Brien

Attendance: 120


Coventry City: Burge (GK), Finch, Harries, Leahy, Whitmore, Sayoud, Maycock, Shipley, Dev. Kelly-Evans (C) (Spence 75'), G. Thomas (Ponticelli 80'), Trialist (McBean 57'). 

Subs: Addai (GK), Thompson. 

Huddersfield Town: Coddington (GK), Hanson, O'Hanlon, Booty (C), Cogill, Horsfall, Warde, Colville, Boyle, Pyke, O'Brien.

Subs: Ryan (GK), Carvalho, Dyson, Tear, Edmonds-Green.

Advertisement block