Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Coventry City 4-3 Crewe Alexandra - City's Under-23 side continue impressive form with comeback victory.

10 October 2016

Kyle Spence and Jack McBean score two apiece to give City all three points...

The Sky Blues’ Under-23 side continued their recent run of form with a comeback victory in a seven-goal thriller at the Ricoh. 

Jack McBean scored two on his return to the starting XI and Kyle Spence scored a brace himself to give City a 4-3 win against Crewe Alexandra. 

The first chance of the game fell to the Sky Blues and winger Bilal Siyoud. Following a high City press, a loose ball fell to the feet of Siyoud, he took one touch onto his left foot before firing straight at ‘keeper David Richards in the Crewe goal.

Crewe looked to respond, with their slick passing play a particular highlight in the opening 20 minutes. Callum Ainley danced through the City defence and set up highly rated Tom Lowery, but his effort was deflected over the bar. 

The opening goal came through the returning Jack McBean, who had the easiest of finishes after Sayoud’s cross was too hot to handle for Richards. The ball dropped a yard out and the striker was on hand to put the Sky blues ahead. 

However, the lead would last a matter of minutes as Daniel Udoh levelled the scores for the visitors. A free kick in a dangerous position squirmed under the body of City ‘keeper Corey Addai and Udoh rivalled McBean for the ‘easiest finish of the day’ award.

Siyoud and McBean again combined to give the home side their best chance since conceding the equaliser. Siyoud was released down the left and his wicked low cross found McBean around 12 yards out, but his first time effort was saved well down to the ‘keepers right. 

Crewe completed the first half turnaround on the stroke of half time. Alex Kiwomya won a free kick in a dangerous position and Oliver Finney’s curling cross went through a host of bodies and found the bottom corner to give them the lead. 

City was out early for the second-half and the words of Nicky Eaden at the break seemingly did the trick. McBean picked up the ball on the edge of the box before cutting inside and curling a lovely effort into the bottom corner and level the scores. 

The Sky Blues’ joy was short lived as Crewe retook the lead just minutes later. A ball cut through the City defence to allow Udoh a clear run at goal, he took one touch before firing the ball into the bottom corner across Addai to restore the visitor’s advantage.   

It was turning into a goal fest at the Ricoh as City was back on level terms immediately. Callum Maycock fed the ball into McBean, who backed into his defender before laying it Kyle Spence, who smashed the ball into the corner. 

The visitor’s came forward looking to regain the lead for a second time in the game and went close again through Udoh. The striker beat his defender and fired the ball across the six-yard box. The rebound fell to oncoming Ainley but Addai tipped his effort round the post.    

The game had a real end-to-end feel about it, but it was the Sky Blues who took advantage. A ball was fed into the path of Spence and his shot across the ‘keeper squirmed under Richards and just crossed the line before Devon Kelly-Evans made sure. 

Attendance: 100

Yellow: Richards


Coventry City: Addai (GK), Di. Kelly-Evans, Harries, Finch, Haynes (Finn 80'), Maycock, Shipley, Spence, Dev. Kelly-Evans (C), Sayoud (Whitmore 59'), McBean (Ponticelli 83').

Subs: Skuza (GK), Smith.

Crewe: Richards (GK), Bullock, Yates, Finney, Wintle, Ainley, Udoh, Ng, Nugent, Lowery (Pickering 73'), Kiwomya (Kirk 45').

Subs: Poscha, Wardley, Dale.

Advertisement block